Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » eCommerce & Atahualpa »

variation for product attributes

Old Nov 1, 2011, 08:46 PM
aehageman

18 posts · Oct 2011
variation for product attributes

I need ajax variations for my product attributes

For example, you have a product called “Printed T-Shirt” which is available in different sizes Small, Medium, Large, X Large. In addition, you have the T-Shirt product available in different colors as well. You will add a product variation called “Shirt Size” and another variation called “Shirt Color”.
In my case the color raspberry is only available for certain size, so I do not want it to appear in the color drop down if the size 'X large' is selected.

I am not really selling shirts, but I find it easier to use this example to help everyone understand.

Petty much the first selection of a product will determine what other options are available and so fourth.
Some have suggested just adding separate products, but the average end user could add products to their cart that will not specifically fit their needs if they end up in the incorrect category.

This specific task is for a security company www.GoodGuysSecurity.com. We plan to add all the security products they can/will install. The basic system depends on whether the house has a crawl space or a slab. I could make a category for slab houses or crawl space house, but you could accidentally move from one to the other while adding products and that would really mess things up. I could also explain that slab house can only use wireless equipment, but that is depending on the intelligence of the visitor. I believe it would be better to have the first question of each system be is your house a slab or crawl space. Then the select below would match the requirements.
With slabs all door and window sensors are wireless
with crawl space they can be either.
There is a big difference in price between the two.

so as you are picking your basic installation package as a new customer we really want you to experience as little confusion as possible.

Maybe I am making this to hard. suggestions welcome.

I have been installing ecommerce plugins life wp commerce, tribulant, and ecwid.com to name a few and have not found one that does exactly this.

I have other customers asking for similar functionality
Any suggestions are welcome.. Even customizations or plugins

While I was writing this I thought about making a system select page with a drop down controlling an iframe or some other ajax or java that would update the page information with the appropriate system. this would requre me to make two products one for slab one for crawlspace and possible go back to the two category problem. this is not out of the question, but the selected carts don't do that either.

thank you very much for you input.

Alan