Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Trying to avoid child themes. Header problems

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:30 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
Trying to avoid child themes. Header problems

I have a WordPress network site and each blog shares the same header navigation, but separate header layout.

The ideal solution would be to do a php include file in the header option area of theme configuration. That way, I can have the following:

navigation.php gets loaded into:
business_hdr.php
homestead_hdr.php
main_hdr.php

Then, for each sub blog, all I have to do is include the proper php header for the design I need. Then, if I ever have to change the navigation link, I just update one file...navigation.php.

The problem is, I'm not allowed to do php code in the theme options and the code doesn't recognize html include.

That only leaves me to use child themes so each blog can have the php include header code on the index.php file. That's how I'm giving each header it's own look. I had to duplicate the atahualpa folders so I can do a php include line on each of the index pages.

It's a pain to maintain. Now that there is an update available for atahualpa, I have to update a lot of instances!

Is there a better way?