Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] How to create category pages

Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:43 AM
glb9235

3 posts · Feb 2010
Thought I would post this, since I spent hours looking for a solution before I solved it. I was looking for any way to create a page where certain content was on the top (sticky or otherwise), and allow posts to populate it from a specific category. I didn't want just a list of post titles, I wanted the full posts. Here's my fix. I edited the page2cat.php from this plugin:

http://pixline.net/wordpress-plugins/category-page-wordpress-plugin/en/

Here was the original function:
Code:
function page2cat_content_catlist($content){
global $post;
	if ( stristr( $content, '[catlist' )) {
		$search = "@(?:<p>)*\s*\[catlist\s*=\s*(\w+|^\+)\]\s*(?:</p>)*@i";
		if	(preg_match_all($search, $content, $matches)) {
			if (is_array($matches)) {
				$title = get_option('p2c_catlist_title');
				if($title != "") $output = "<h4>".$title."</h4>"; else $output = "";
				$output .= "<ul class='p2c_catlist'>";
				$limit = get_option('p2c_catlist_limit');
				foreach ($matches[1] as $key =>$v0) {
					$catposts = get_posts('category='.$v0."&numberposts=".$limit);
						foreach($catposts as $single):
						$output .= "<li><a href='".get_permalink($single->ID)."'>".$single->post_title."</a></li>";
						endforeach;
					$search = $matches[0][$key];
					$replace= $output;
					$content= str_replace ($search, $replace, $content);					
				}
			$output .= "</ul>";
			}
		}
	}
return $content;
}
Change this:
Code:
						$output .= "<li><a href='".get_permalink($single->ID)."'>".$single->post_title."</a></li>";
						endforeach;
To this:
Code:
						$excerpt = $single->post_content;
						$output .= "<li><a href='".get_permalink($single->ID)."'>".$single->post_title."</a></li><p>".$excerpt."</p>";
						endforeach;
Thats it! I fiddled around a lot so if there was something else I changed and yours doesn't work, let me know.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
glb9235: make sure to see what happens when you go to a second page (change teh number of posts per page to easily test it.) I tryed playing with page2cat at one point and it kept restarting the posts from the beginning on each new page.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:50 PM
glb9235

3 posts · Feb 2010
Hmm, that did seem to cause problems. Mine didn't create pages at all, just cut off after a certain number of posts. Any ideas?

I had forgotten to mention I added this to the functions.php file:

Code:
function neat_trim($str, $n, $delim='...') {
$str = str_replace("\n","",$str);
$str = strip_tags($str);
  $len = strlen($str);
   if ($len > $n) {
       preg_match('/(.{' . $n . '}.*?)\b/', $str, $matches);
       return rtrim($matches[1]) . $delim;
   }
   else {
       return $str;
   }
}
Edit: Extending it to 25 posts is an option in the plugin settings.

Last edited by glb9235; Jun 16, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:16 PM
Jeff G

39 posts · Mar 2010
Hmm. I really want to be have page links from page menu navigation correspond to some categories of posts: is the above the only way to do this??

That seems very complicated, but maybe I'm not understanding what glb9235 was actually accomplishing. Already, I have this:

http://endthelockout.org/

That second line is, of course, the categories. All I really want to do is integrate those into the page menu bar. Do I need to edit the code as glb9235 has done, or is there an easier solution?

<<crossing fingers>>

Thanks so much for any assistance!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:53 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Did you ever look at the List Category Posts plugin? This uses a shortcode with plenty of variables. One of which is to show entire post.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:52 AM
glb9235

3 posts · Feb 2010
Quote:
Did you ever look at the List Category Posts plugin? This uses a shortcode with plenty of variables. One of which is to show entire post.
Thats it! I can't believe I searched so hard and wasn't able to find a plugin that does exactly what I wanted.

Jeff: You can use the plugin mentioned above to do this, or use the Page Links To plugin to put links to your category pages on the page menu bar.

Edit:

I was able to tweak the List Category Posts plugin template to work with atahualpa. It now uses mostly the same formatting as you set for normal posts - with header, byline, and body. Thought it might be useful.

Code:
//Posts loop:
	$output .= '<div class="post"><div class="post-headline"><h2><a href="' . get_permalink($single->ID) . '">' . $single->post_title . '</a></h2></div>';
	//Style for date:
	if($atts['date']=='yes'){
		$output.= ' <div class="post-byline"> ' . get_the_time($atts['dateformat'], $single) .'</div>';
	}
	//Show author?
	if($atts['author']=='yes'){
		$lcp_userdata = get_userdata($single->post_author);
		$output.=' <div class="post-byline"> ' .$lcp_userdata->display_name .'</div>';
	}
	//Show content?
	if($atts['content']=='yes' && $single->post_content){
		$lcpcontent = apply_filters('the_content', $single->post_content); // added to parse shortcodes
		$lcpcontent = str_replace(']]>', ']]&gt', $lcpcontent); // added to parse shortcodes
		$output.= '<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix">' . $lcpcontent . '</div>'; // line tweaked to output filtered content
	}
	//Show excerpt?
	if($atts['excerpt']=='yes' && $single->post_excerpt && !($atts['content']=='yes' && $single->post_content) ){
		$output .= '<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix">' . $single->post_excerpt . '</div>';
	}
	$output.='</div>';
endforeach;
?>

Last edited by glb9235; Jun 17, 2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:12 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Sometimes they are illusive and keyword searches don't always work. I find some plugins in unusual places and I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME on the computer. But wait... That's what I do to make a living. Glad it worked for you.