Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

How do I change the menu navigation and add 'featured' post to main page?

Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:00 PM
sspeedy

7 posts · Aug 2009
Hey everyone,

This is my first time dealing with WP, PHP, and tweaking themes in general. There's only one good thing about this whole thing, and it's that I'm a programmer

I read about Atahualpa online so I chose it and I've been playing with it for a day or two. I have two main concerns

1. How can I change the location of "Home" and "About"? For instance, by default, they show up on top left corner, above the icon logo etc. Ideally I'd like to move them below the banner image. Can this be done? If so, how? Please break it down as much as possible

2. So I want to main columns, one is the content column and one is the right side-bar. I accomplished this part. The main content column, I want it to contain three things: top entry should be a 'featured post' (which should have a 'click to read more'), then underneathe it, the main content column should 'split' into two for news stories on left and deals on the right. Perhaps it can show the last 5 entries in both categories. For an example, please look at http://www.problogger.net/.

I'm not copying, but this is the design that will probably work best for what I'm about to set-up. To accomplish either, should I be tweaking the CSS file itself or can this be done through the 'atahualpa theme options'...?

Thank you!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 04:09 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1 - change the order of the items at ATO->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area
2 - As of WP 2.7, you can use a sticky to make a post show up first
Quote:
Sticky Posts
WordPress 2.7 will include Sticky Posts check box on the write screens. This will place the post at the top of the front page for posts and keep it there after new posts are made.
2b - a post, then split the column - currently can't be done unless you want to do a lot of hacking of the theme. there is a post about making the center column two peices. The thing is, if you go hack the code, then each time you upgrade, you will have to reapply the hack IF the code still workes the way it did in the prior release.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:03 AM
sspeedy

7 posts · Aug 2009
Thanks for the response, juggledad. I will be trying your #1. As for #2, at this point, I need to do this so I may as well go ahead and 'hack it up' Maybe my search terms are too specific, but if you can post the link to whoever tried splitting the center into two columns, that would be awesome.

Thanks again!

Edit: I'm being too hasty here. For featured post, you're saying to put it in a sticky and maybe change style of first post to make it pop...? Also, if I wanna track all featured post(s), wait, duh, I could categorize it as 'featured posts', yah. Nvmd.

Last edited by sspeedy; Aug 19, 2009 at 07:25 AM.