Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

How to change the way comments replies are displayed

Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:42 AM
eftim

16 posts · Jun 2009
I would like to change the way comments replies are displayed on my website. Here is an example of how my comments are displayed by the time I am writing this post:

As you can see the second reply is displayed below the first one. But itīs obviously been sent after the first one. Well, I would like to have my newest replies displayed above the older ones rather than below them.

Thank you very much for giving me the solution
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:39 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
this is a Wordpress option. See: dashboard->settings->Discuession->Comments should be displayed with the xxx comments at the top of each page
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:25 PM
eftim

16 posts · Jun 2009
It may be a WordPress option but itīs not where you say it is. I asked on the WordPress forum and havenīt got any answer so far, turned back to you again. I really want to change this WP option and donīt know what to do. Researched Google for an answer but didnīt find any. No plugin solves this problem either...
Old Jun 9, 2009, 02:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What version of WordPress?? At dashboard->settings->Discuession is a section called 'Other Comments Settings' the last line says:
HTML Code:
Comments should be displayed with the [b]xxxxxx[/b] comments at the top of each page
Where XXXXX is eithor 'older' or 'newer' - Have you tried setting it to Newer?
------------
As an aside - most forums are supported by unpaid volunteers - including this one. I don't work for Flynn, I'm volunteering my time and once in a while, someone is giving me a donation. I don't have to do this and can pick and choose. I also look to see who has given donations, they get higher priority.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:50 PM
eftim

16 posts · Jun 2009
Itīs 2.7.1 version of WP.

I have changed the option to "newer" and itīs still the same thing. The replies, not the comments themselves, but the replies to the coments that have been sent later are still going under (below) the repies that have been sent earlier. So if someone has replied a comment at 12:01 his comment will always be staying above all the later later replies. It will stay upon a reply that has been sent at 13:15 for instance. I want to change this. I need the newer replies go above the older ones.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 07:24 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Are you using a plugin to get replies to the comments??
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:05 PM
eftim

16 posts · Jun 2009
No, iīm not.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ok, this is not a Atahualpa controled issue. The theme makes a call to wp_list_comments (which is in wp-includes/comments-template.php) and that is the code that produces the comments in the manner you see. This is the code that would have to be changed to do what you want.

You might also investigate to see if there is a plugin that might do what you want
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:57 AM
eftim

16 posts · Jun 2009
Thatīs the code I see there

function wp_list_comments($args = array(), $comments = null ) {
global $wp_query, $comment_alt, $comment_depth, $comment_thread_alt, $overridden_cpage, $in_comment_loop;

$in_comment_loop = true;

$comment_alt = $comment_thread_alt = 0;
$comment_depth = 1;

$defaults = array('walker' => null, 'max_depth' => '', 'style' => 'ul', 'callback' => null, 'end-callback' => null, 'type' => 'all',
'page' => '', 'per_page' => '', 'avatar_size' => 32, 'reverse_top_level' => null, 'reverse_children' => '');

$r = wp_parse_args( $args, $defaults );

What should I change Or I may have to add some code?

Last edited by eftim; Jun 10, 2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:27 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You probably have to change 'reverse_children' => '' to 'reverse_children' => 1

It should also work if you add

"reverse_children" => 1,

to the array of options of wp_list_comments in the Atahualpa file comments.php, or see if the call of wp_list_comments is in functions/bfa_custom_comments.php... I don't have the theme files with me at the moment
Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:42 PM
eftim

16 posts · Jun 2009
You probably have to change 'reverse_children' => '' to 'reverse_children' => 1

This didnīt work