Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Some questions about Montezuma

Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:41 PM
claudiacreates

27 posts · Sep 2012
Hi all, I am working with Montezuma and very enthustiastic. Within a few hours I already had a reasonable result and it's fun to work with. I have a few questions and hopefully you can help me:

- Where can I change the text color for leave a reply under posts and pages? And how can I change the general color of the body text?:
http://www.claudiacreates.nl/tempo/
- When I click on my post and then on news the menu is suddenly messed up, how can I fix that?: http://www.claudiacreates.nl/category/nieuws/
- How can I change my background?
-How can I make 2 rows in the right sidebar instead of one? Is it also possible to make sidebars on the left?
- Is it possible to make some of the pages just a title?

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
Where can I change the text color for leave a reply under posts and pages
have you examined the page with a code inspector like FireBug in FireFox?
Quote:
When I click on my post and then on news the menu is suddenly messed up, how can I fix that?
Not sure what you mean, please provide step by step instructions to show the issue
Quote:
- How can I change my background?
add some CSS using the 'background' rule
Quote:
How can I make 2 rows in the right sidebar instead of one?
edit the virtual template(s)
Quote:
Is it also possible to make sidebars on the left?
Yes, rearrange teh code in the virtual template
Quote:
- Is it possible to make some of the pages just a title?
anything is possible it all depends on how you want to implement it

You need to experiment and play with the otions and virtual templates to get the most out of the theme.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:59 AM
claudiacreates

27 posts · Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
have you examined the page with a code inspector like FireBug in FireFox?
Not sure what you mean, please provide step by step instructions to show the issue

add some CSS using the 'background' rule

edit the virtual template(s)

Yes, rearrange teh code in the virtual template
anything is possible it all depends on how you want to implement it

You need to experiment and play with the otions and virtual templates to get the most out of the theme.
I did Juggledad, I would love to use the firefile add on for that so I can make changes online, but don't know where to put the php file for that (it says in the root) but since I am still a newbie I don't know if this is in the wp-content or anywhere else. If you know that, then I would apperciate if you can enlighten me with that knowledge.
As I said I used firebug, but in some cases it's still a mystery to me, that's why I ask here.

The background rule you say, but where exactly? In the body text, or somewhere else?
Do you have an example for me? The background is white now.

Maybe I missed that, but virtual templates? Where do I find those, I installed montezuma and started right away. I played with the gridwidth, thought that might give a solution but it didn't.
Thanks you for your answers, back to playing it is then for me.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:25 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
It sounds like you don't have a very good background in CSS, HTML or PHP. You might consider taking a few tutorials before trying to make changes to the Montezuma theme and spend a bit of time reading the onscreen documentation.

Some good tutorials for HTML and CSS can be found at htmldog.com and a good refference site is w3schools.com
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:31 AM
claudiacreates

27 posts · Sep 2012
I had the idea that Wordpress and thus Montezuma was that anyone could work with them, didn't know you had to be experienced in CSS, PHP and HTML for that. I am very willing to learn of course, however also thought this forum was to ask questions and get answers. Some examples would have been helpful.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You can't just install Wordpress and any theme and think you don't have to learn anything more. Ie you have to learn how to add posts and pages, categories, tags, images, users, moderate comments, use plugins, add widgets... The list goes on and on.

With themes, you can just plug them in and use them with all the defaults, but once you want to tweak them it takes more skill. Some themes are easier to change than others. Atahualpa give you over 200 places to make changes, but you still need to know some CSS in order to make many of the changes.

Montezuma is a more complex and powerful theme, but that power comes with a price if you want to deviate from the default settings.

Also, we moderators are not paid. People donate to us and the theme developer (Flynn) to encourage us to continue our work. But when someone has half dozen questions and wants detailed explainations and that will take an hour or so to answer, we have to weigh our other commitments against that.

So it's not that we don't want to help, sometimes we can't afford to help. You have many options to choose from, you can live with the default options, learn more about CSS, HTML, php and the theme code, find a friend who can help you, hire someone to do it for you or teach you. This is why I pointed out some places you can learn more.

You should also read my signature.

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 3, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:48 AM
claudiacreates

27 posts · Sep 2012
Hi Juggledad, I bought Themeframe, so I paid for software that doesn't have a handout, or hardly has. I bought it because I thought it was the solution to make a website for myself and a friend, without learning a lot first and then starting from that point to learn more over time. Thanks to another member here, Jill, I understand something of TF now (but it's just a little). When I started I didn't know at all how WP worked. I was hoping Montezuma would be easier, not because I don't want to learn, I am always learning, it's just all very new to me. I didn't know you first wanted to be paid, but sure I understand what you mean when you have to make choices. I leave it to this because I suppose we have both better things to do then debate on a forum about questions and answers and paid help or not.