Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Unknown horizontal space between custom widget areas in header area

Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:48 PM
swimflyfast2

150 posts · Aug 2010
Horse Country in Virginia
I have a widget area named 'above-header' at the top of the page and one called 'slider' just under it on the home page that contains a widget with the image and text underneath it.. There is an area of nothing between them and I can't find CSS to address it when I "inspect" it.

I'm trying to move the widget area of 'slider' up a bit. Anyone have an idea?

Site is www.undergrace.org
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:06 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I fiddled a bit with Firebug and this might do what you want.
HTML Code:
#slide {
    position: relative;
    top: -20px;
    margin-bottom: -20px;
}
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:31 PM
swimflyfast2

150 posts · Aug 2010
Thanks, I was about to do that but thought that something must have a margin making the space. Where does that blank space come from? I'm loving the ability to use custom widgets! This is such a great theme!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:42 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I am guessing that the space is just part of the base CSS and positioning code. I don't generally spend a lot of time trying to figure out why something is happening. Sometime knowing the why can be helpful so you are not putting in code that overwrites something you could just change but I figure it is often more expeditious to just add the code I need.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I think it is caused because you are using relative positioning for menu2 - try changing it to absolute and change the top to '60'
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:49 PM
swimflyfast2

150 posts · Aug 2010
Yes Juggledad I removed %cats and everything moved up. good to know what the latent function of relative and absolute is on formatting. Will play with absolute. Thanks.
cheers.