Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

flexible width thumbnails?

Old May 14, 2010, 03:43 PM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
Social Bookmarks flexible width thumbnails?

Just starting to build a new site for my lady and starting off with some basic structural stuff. Have a few questions and issues regarding thumbnails used for excerpts.

Despite increasing the size of thumbnail in the theme options, it seems that the thumbnails do not get bigger than 150x150. I would like full-width thumbnails for each post on a multi-post two-column page of posts.
1. Why are the thumbnails maxing out at 150?
2. Ideally these would be flexible width, to grow and shrink together with the width of the column posts. Is this possible?

http://www.susanne.treacletheatre.co...press/?paged=2

Latest A, and WP 2.9.2

Thanks,
Kaspar
Old May 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I haven't tested this but you might want to look at WordPress>Settings>Media to see if setting that thumbnail size has any bearing on your issue.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:52 PM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
Hi Imilesw,
Just tried and it didn't seem to help. Do you think the theme settings and wordpress settings need to match? Or do I need to disable one of them? When inserting an image/thumbnail following the change in the settings, the thumbnail size still read 150x150. Does WP need time to adapt to the change?

Also wondering if something like this may help: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...ght=thumbnails
Old May 14, 2010, 04:57 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I really haven't looked into it that much but is seems as though I have seen something in these forums about thumbnail sizes. I also have had to run the regenerate thumbnails plugin one time after I made some changes to thumbnail size.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:59 PM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
Thanks, I'll give it a go and let you know.
Old May 14, 2010, 05:13 PM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
Tried the first method used in the link I sent you first. This certainly works. I imagine the problem comes when you want to be more flexible with your images, and this method simply makes all the images 100%. But still very useful for flexible width sites.

I'll try the other methods too and let you know...
K

When nightrowan says:

Assign a class to your image and then add a CSS insert:
img.classname {
width: 100%;
}

where exactly does he mean in the advanced settings of the image editing options? I guess in the CSS Class and Styles boxes, but how exactly do I assign a class to the image?
Old May 14, 2010, 05:22 PM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
By putting 100% in both the height and width boxes I can make the image width flexible to fit the browser/post width, while keeping control over which images I want to have this function.

But this option is not available for thumbnails - so back to square one in some respects. Where can I change the settings for the thumbnails to be 100%
Old May 14, 2010, 06:11 PM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
Solved!
Simply insert:

Width: 100%;
Height: 100%;

into the 'post thumbnails' (Atahualpa Theme Options) CSS - maybe upping the post thumbnail width and post thumbnail height will ensure better quality on bigger browsers, but I don't know for sure. I just put 100% there too to be on the safe side.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 01:47 PM
Jeff G

39 posts · Mar 2010
I just tried putting this
Width: 100%;
Height: 100%;

into the css, and it still didn't do anything. Basically, it seem that the image size I enter under ATO-->Post THUMBNAIL is ignored.

It seems so straightforward: I put in 221 for "width" of thumbnail.... and nothing happens.

I tried to put in this CSS code:

.post img.attachment-post-thumbnail {
float: left;
width: 211px;
height: auto;
margin: 0px;
padding-bottom:27px;
padding-left:0;
padding-right:27px;
position:relative;
}

which sorta gets me what I want, but it's still defaulting to a smaller thumbnail, then resizing it, so the quality is poo.

I'm trying to make this...
http://www.fuzzpodmusic.dreamhosters.com/news/

look like this:
http://web.me.com/fuzzpodmusic/Site/News/News.html

Using:
WordPress 3.0
Atahualpa 3.5.1

Any way to make the title and byline float nicely as well?

Thanks! Any help very appreciated!!!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:08 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Have you tried setting the thumbnail size in Wordpress>Setting>Media to at least as large as the thumbnail you want? You also may have to regenerate your thumbnails. There is a plugin that will do this for you called Regenerate Thumbnails. So you would want to set the Wordpress settings, regenerate, and then try the Atahualpa settings. I'm not sure if that will work as I have never use the thumbnail settings but it seems like I saw something similar to what I just said.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Jeff: do an export of the settings and attach it to a reply an dI'll take a look
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
Jeff G

39 posts · Mar 2010
Ok, here it is. I looked at this text file and it was unintelligible, but hopefully you can make sense of it.

Thanks so much for replying. It's distressing how quickly I've grown to depend on this forum to get me through projects!

--jeff g
Attached Files
File Type: txt ata-wwwfuzzpodmusicdreamhosterscom-20100624.txt (29.6 KB, 1533 views)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:21 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ok I imported the style and when I change the width, I get a different size for the thumbnail.
1) I'm using Safari, what browser are you using and have you tried in another?
2) do you have a caching plugin? If so turn it off while makig theme settings.