Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Is is possible to integrate a forum within the theme ?

Old Mar 13, 2009, 07:27 AM
ciolo

12 posts · Mar 2009
Hi everybody, i'm new around here and this is my first attempt to wordpress as CMS.

MANY THANKS to Flynn, you do a great job with this theme and the forum.

So, i just installed the Atahualpa 3.2 and now i want to customize it to make a colaborative blog but i also need a forum to be active on my site. Is it possible to integrate bbpress into the theme ? I want to keep only the header and the horizontal menu active in the forums so the user can easily switch between the forum and the website.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 06:49 PM
owenl

44 posts · Jan 2009
I haven't tried bbpress but I am pretty sure simple forum works. You would want to specify in the options that the forum page had no sidebars and you would probably want to do some CSS styling with the simple forum options to make it all look good, but a quick test I did at least showed that it ought to work
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:48 AM
ciolo

12 posts · Mar 2009
i tried the simple forum but it is too slow and it needs 2 much customization, i rather preffer to work on bbpress to integrate in the theme because of its speed and clean look. Any ideas on how to put the bbpress under the atahualpa header ?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 02:19 PM
owenl

44 posts · Jan 2009
I haven't worked with bbpress but I believe you can integrate them now (you couldn't in the past). But I think you have to be running on wordpress MU (the multiuser version of wordpress) to do it properly - and I don't know if atahualpa works on that
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:44 AM
MatthiasHeil

23 posts · Jan 2009
Künzell, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to MatthiasHeil Send a message via Skype™ to MatthiasHeil
Atahualpa works flawlessly on WPmu (of course).

However, since WP's update cycles have traditionally been out of sync with bbpress, I'd be careful about integration - you may get it to work pretty easily the first time, but wait until the updates roll...-) - nonetheless, you will find some successful integrations once you start googling for them.

I'd rather go for a forum-like WP theme, or proper usage of the comment functionality, which kind of makes an extra forum superfluous - there are so many free and useful free storage offers - drop.io etc. - that you can really do without having contributors fill up your webspace... IYKWIM :-)

If, however, you still want one, there are a few WP plugins doing the job. The most elaborated one in terms of functionality is SimpleForum IMHO, but I've scrapped it because I found it unacceptably slow at times, and ugly irrespective of the theme you are using. - A few years ago I tried RS Discuss, and found it pretty satisfying and conveniently fast, but it does not seem to have seen an update in quite a while.

Finally, if you want to go for the real deal (and ignore my above warning of upgrade nightmares), this might be a good starting point to syncing "the big ones" (forums) with WP... enjoy!-)
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:39 AM
ciolo

12 posts · Mar 2009
Thanks Matthias i was thinking about SMF too, due to the update problems of bbpress. I guess the comment features can work too but i want the users to be able to communicate with eachother outside wp. I will update this thread as soon as i successfully integrate it.