Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Trouble styling calendar plugin--ATA over-riding CSS?

Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:53 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I have Kieran O'Shea's calendar plugin working on my site, and in fact have it working on the same page as our old Perl script calendar. Look at the bottom of this page for it: http://www.larchmontgazette.com/?page_id=131

You see the ugly gray or blue blocks for the events? For the life of me I can't get rid of those. I do want colors to show different categories of events, as in the old calendar. What I want is for the colors to be backgrounds for the events as in the old calendar, not those thick blocks. Even using Firebug, I can't figure out what to change. When I try to change the plugin's CSS, nothing happens. I think something in ATA must be over-riding it, but I can't figure it out. Help!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 02:07 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...ghlight=Kieran post#12
Old Jul 10, 2009, 02:15 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Hi. Yes, thanks, I did see that and tried your idea, but it didn't work. I was hoping some other plan had magically appeared. I'll try again.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 02:35 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
if you make this change, you must reset the calendar options so they will be re-written in the database with '!important' added. To see if they have been, you can run yourdomain.com/wordpress/wp-admin/options.php and take a look at all your options
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:12 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
When I look at options.php, the Events Calendar section just says "Serialized Data."

I applied just what you gave to the calendar's styling area, and there was no change, and I did tick the box to reset to the default, to save the new styles. I'm trying it now on another site: http://aghca.org/?page_id=197

I really like the way this calendar and its widget work, so I want to keep using it. What I want is for the blocky event title in the big calendar to be not so blocky, just a colored background for the text, or maybe even just differently-colored text to make different categories stand out. Any other ideas?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 02:45 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Hi Paulae, summer has finally arrived

Something whent wrong with your edit or the check box didn't work because if you look at the generated source, it should show !important next to each of the calendar options

When you check off the box next to ' Tick this box if you wish to reset the Calendar style to default' you should see in the 'Configure the stylesheet for Calendar' box, all the options with '!important' next to them. That box copies the css from calendar.php.

Re check in calendar.php and make sure the !important is next to each of the items.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 03:17 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
OK, JD, thanks. I think I've got the new !important stuff to stay in place. But the CSS changes I want are not there, of course. I'm having trouble figuring out where and how to change the blocky background to just a nice plain colored background.

If the theme's table CSS is somehow over-riding the plugin's CSS, how does it help to tinker with the plugin's options? Don't I need to put an over-riding CSS in ATA Options/CSS inserts?

Sorry for being so obtuse!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:44 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
When I played with this, I was able to get the plugin's CSS to work only with the '!important' next to each of the plugin's options. Now you can go and add !important to each option, or make the coding change to the calendar.php and then the default in the plugin will have the !important next to each option.

It looks like even though the plugin has CSS, the Atahualpa table options were overriding the plugin's options.