Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

WP-PostViews workaround?

Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:57 AM
perdox808

51 posts · Apr 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to perdox808
I would like to use this plugin (WP-PostViews) on my website to track which of the jokes or funny pictures are getting the most views. However, I have run up against a bit of a problem with the way my site is designed.

If you go to http://theperdoxrant.com/category/humour/visual/ you will see that I have selected to have only excerpts shown. This is to force the user to click on the title and see the full post. In this way, the plugin gets some data. By using the navigation bars that appear at the top (the newer and older links) the views still get registered so everything is fine.

However, when there is just one line of text in the body of the post and then a picture, the user gets to see what you see if you click on the link above. I think this looks ugly and at first sight, might give the user the idea that the posts are not working. Of course, I will have something to say about this to the user on the Help page, but I suspect many will not go there to begin with.

The other alternative is to have the full post showing. However, the user will be able to scroll through all the posts without having to click on them, hence I will not get any statistics. Sigh.

I thought of putting the Read More statement in the Title of the post but couldn't work out how to do this. This would be great because I would not be depending on the user reading the help file to learn that they must click on the title to get started viewing the posts.

Does anyone see any way around this?

On another matter, I just realised something that this editor does that the WP one doesn't. When I typed the website address above, the editor automatically created this as a link. As far as I can tell, the WP one doesn't. Can the WP one be made to work like this one?

As always, should you or any of your friends give me any advice, I will not disavow your help!