Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Welcome message as post without date or title?

Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:02 AM
blueprairie

98 posts · Feb 2009
I have my site set up with a welcome message on my homepage that I hard coded on index.php inside an is_home command. Ideally, I'd like this same message displayed as you see it now, but accessible and editable through the admin (as a post, I think). Currently the welcome message includes everything from the "Welcome to Polk City" graphic through the Mayor's message, and ends with the "Latest News" graphic.

It seems like I should be able to make a sticky post to do the same thing, but I don't want a post date to display (on this one post) and I don't want a post title (on this one post).

Is this possible?

-Kimberly

site: http://www.polkcity.org
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:12 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Option 1, easy, would be to remove the headline and the footer of the sticky post with a HTML/CSS Inserts -> CSS Insert such as

HTML Code:
div.sticky div.post-headline,
div.sticky div.post-footer {
display: none;
}
The problem is that Google might tag this as spam since you're effectively "hiding" text. It's rather unlikely that they care about this little piece of text, or they may not even notice, but if they did, it could mean exclusion from the index, re-inclusion request sent by you, and re-inclusion after perhaps 2 weeks or so.

Option 2 would be:
  • Create a "Page" page with the content you currently have on top of the front page
  • Make the front page a static page at WP Site Admin -> Settings -> Reading -> Front page displays, choose the page you created
  • Install the Page2Cat plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/ (Atahualpa is prepared for it no file edits needed)
  • Adjust the plugin's settings (on its settings page inside the WP admin area) to include X post from category Y on the page that you made the front page