Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off - Part II

Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:17 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_williams
Such useful feedback from the last 'showoff'; here's another...
http://www.worksantiques.co.uk/
Paul, your short codes are showing!! Also, same deal with your pictures as before. I click on the photo of the show room and it is immense. It does not need to be that huge. Make it 800px wide max.

Right now it is 4,000+ px wide and scaled down to 1200. That is a no-no. It is also a staggering 5,981.58 KB (6,125,134 bytes). Optimize. If you don't have photoshop, download Irfanview. It is free and easy to learn.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
shocka - is your frineds site suppose to have three grey boxes at the top? The JS_wrapper is not showing for me at all.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:39 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Here is a screenshot. My mouse was hovered over the word Info

Also suggest you change the word info...which means essentially nothing, to Résumé or Curriculum Vitae or About Julian.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:04 PM
shocka

11 posts · May 2009
Juggledad - sharonj screen shot is correct. Is that what you see?

Sharonj thanks for the suggestion. I will pass it along.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:50 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Hey Shocka, the concern is that when we go to the site, it looks...sorry about this....boring.

You are doing a site for someone who does interior design. The home page should reflect that. So, the gray boxes should show a snippet of what she does.

they should actually show renderings, drawings or diagrams or even better, before and after photos of the brilliant work she does. The gray boxes don't do it for her. Also, the diagrams should have titles and alt text full of key words, since as you know, google does not see photos
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
cantplay

14 posts · Aug 2012
First, great thanks to all here for your participation! I am learning WP/ATA/Paint.NET/w3 content as a hobby and have this site on a local host. I have had SO many issues resolved via BFA, JD, LMW and others.

Anyway this is my site, nothing groundbreaking, but I am looking to take it to the next level, so any feedback is appreciated. I went to ata-round early on trying to jazz it up easily and now kind of wishing I didn't. I would like to jazz up the header in %logo, slick up the %pages bar, find a complimentary background (so hard!) and possibly "flatten" the page (content area not raised/shadowed) as priority items.

My Mock Site

Thanks again!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Hi Cantplay,

so far, so good, looks like a sports site. My first impression is that the font is too small in the content area, but then I realized that is just a screenshot, so it probably is fine once it is in a browser. Post again when the site is up and we can check around.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
aviatom

8 posts · Oct 2011
sw florida
here are a couple of mine, thanks to help from folks here. "learningtoflyrc.com" The navigation still needs some work (only so many spare time hours in a day). Another one "fishpondbuild.com" the pond isn't finished yet and neither is the site. comments welcome.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
aviatom - first thisn is I would suggest not making all the text centered, it is so hard to read it that way and makes me avoid sites like that. FWIW
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
aviatom

8 posts · Oct 2011
sw florida
Align left with proper indentation would be better? What do think? Thanks Tom
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
nfn8

2 posts · Aug 2012
I just spent a bunch of time redesigning my main site built on Atahualpa:

http://LinkedIntelligence.com

I'm using Juggledad's multi-post template on the home page. It took me f.o.r.e.v.e.r... to find a social sharing plugin I was happy with. I ended up with Sharexy, which I'd never heard of, but you can see the results for yourself.

I'm also using the Social Author Bio plugin, which I really like.

I kind of did some interesting CSS to make the leaderboard ad spot inside the center area instead of also above the sidebar. I could've tweaked the theme, but I'd generally rather do stuff with CSS than PHP when possible.

The main thing still left to do on it is that I want to add templates for categories, tags, and authors. P.S. - that's my #1 wish-list item to build in to Atahualpa. :-)

I really would appreciate honest feedback on it. Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
F70100

3 posts · Aug 2012
I'm new here, so first, Hello to all

Hope I've got the hang of this but I'm very keen to receive feedback.

I made this with this fantastic theme but only seem to be scratching the surface of what it can do.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Welcome FT70100

Nice page. Clean. I wonder why you have your contact form on your About Us page? Put it on its own contact page.

I would be tempted to make the body background either slightly darker or slightly lighter than the body background. But that is personal preference only.

While a realize that I am not your demographic, light text on a dark background is very hard for older or sight impaired people to read. =
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
BosseWeb

5 posts · Aug 2012
Please add a comment on my design based on Atahualpha.
Suggestions are very welcome! :-)
My site: www.bosseweb.se
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:23 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
The fact that I don't speak Swedish should not be a problem. Your site is nice to look at, though it is very text heavy. For some reason, when I go from page to page, each page takes about 3 seconds to load. I tested it in Firefox, Chrome and IE

Why do you have categories in two places? You have the large category area under the menu and the drop-down categories on the side bar.

I would be tempted to remove the category section under the menu bar so that people would get to your content faster.

Also, make your javascript and css external by going to ATO/configure JSS and CSS (at the very bottom) and click yes to both. that might make your pages load fractionally faster.

Best wishes!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
BosseWeb

5 posts · Aug 2012
Thank you very much, SharonJ. I have followed your suggestions and I think it now loads a bit faster. Although I suspect that my trackers is a slowing-down-component. Can that be so?
I think in my browser statusbar, I see "sitemeter", "google analytics" and "tailsweep" flashing by.

Last edited by BosseWeb; Aug 27, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
You are absolutely right. You have ten trackers and each one of them has to take not of my ip address etc. Pick one. Site Map is probably all you need. I like the look of the site much better now, by the way!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I take that back...If you have Google Analytics, keep that. Google is still the king.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:05 AM
F70100

3 posts · Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonJ
Welcome FT70100

Nice page. Clean. I wonder why you have your contact form on your About Us page? Put it on its own contact page.

I would be tempted to make the body background either slightly darker or slightly lighter than the body background. But that is personal preference only.

While a realize that I am not your demographic, light text on a dark background is very hard for older or sight impaired people to read. =
Thanks for taking the time to look and post. I guess the advantage of WP & Atahualpa is that I can run a dummy blog with redesign suggestions before deploying it. I'll do just that.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
jakobsmith

32 posts · Feb 2010
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobsmith
Some recent sites I've done with Atahualpa:

http://solcellepriser.dk
This one incorporating bbPress into Atahualpa with the use of a child theme. That was interesting... :-)
I have just recently updated the design on http://solcellepriser.dk based on work from a designer.

It's still Atahualpa :-) Now incorporating a Simple:Press forum. The bbPress 2.0 forum was migrated into Simple:Press.

bbPress 2.0 required a child theme, which was a bit messy.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:59 AM
Stevieboy

11 posts · Oct 2010
England
I don't think this is showing off as such, but I have three sites that use Atahualpa.

These two were created in 2010,

http://www.merchistounhall.co.uk
http://www.merchistounminnows.co.uk

And this one 2011,

http://www.hillosteopath.co.uk

Last edited by Stevieboy; Oct 14, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:30 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Hi Steve, what nice, clean looking sites you have built. Hillosteopath is taking up to 3 seconds to load each page..I note your scripting is inline. You might want to go to ATO/Configure JS and CSS and change it to external, which might help. Anyways, nice work.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:06 PM
SigWS

29 posts · Sep 2012
Been working in Atahualpa off and on for the last couple years and decided to use it on a new project.

LOVING the way this one turned out.

http://warsteeds.com
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:40 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
@SigWS... One suggestion is to optimize the header images for the web. They are around 500Kb and cause the page to load slowly. An image of those dimension should easily be under 100Kb.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:10 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Other than the point about the size of the banner photos, it sure looks like you are having fun.

Is the orange glow around the letters a CSS text effect or is it the font you are using? Yes, I know, I could probably find it, but I am feeling lazy tonight!