Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] query_post in sidebar widget area in php code widget thingy

Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:11 AM
bonnbonn

5 posts · Apr 2011
Hi again!

I am really in need of help, I am trying to use the code below to pull the most recent posting content from a category into a left sidebar php widget area

Code:
<?php query_posts('category_name=updates&showposts=1'); ?>
<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
<a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a>
<?php the_content(); ?>
<?php endwhile;?>
When I do this it is posting beautifully in the left sidebar but is also overriding my page center content as well and displaying the same post in the center area. Would it be possible to have some guidance with this? I would like my center area content to stay as I have it but also do the query_post content display as I need it to in the left sidebar.

I have already tried to use the plug-in query posts but it is not letting me style it as I need to for this to work, so I am having to resort to hard coding the left widget.

Thank you for your time!
BonnBonn
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:06 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
What do you mean by "hard coding the left widget"?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:38 PM
bonnbonn

5 posts · Apr 2011
thank you for responding! I appreciate it very much..

First, Hardcoding meaning I am not using a prefab plugin to do what I would like to happen, I am putting actual code in the left side bar widget php widget item. Meaning when I drag it from my widget choices I am putting actual php code and truthfully right now I had to copy and paste my text from the post that I want to use in a text widget for the time being.

Second, when you refer to the loop are you talking about the small section I am using or in the center pages loop? Forgive the noob question I want to make sure that we are on the same "code speak page"

So to be clear I just need to add
Code:
<?php wp_reset_query(); ?>
below the following?

Code:
<?php query_posts('category_name=updates&showposts=1'); ?>
<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
<a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a>
<?php endwhile;?>
Lemme give it a shot, crossing fingers, Will be back with the results!!

BonnBonn
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:14 PM
bonnbonn

5 posts · Apr 2011
YAY! IT WORKS!!!... I owe you a bearhug! TY TY TY!

http://50.22.80.91/~drblack/wp/

BonnBonn