Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Members Area in Atahualpa

Old May 31, 2010, 04:34 AM
bandsecretarypelpb

2 posts · May 2010
Here is the problem:

I have created a site (www.pelpb.com) by heavily editing Atahualpa Theme, which is fantastic btw. I would however like to have a members area within my site. I used to do this on my old site by password protecting a directory on the server side and linking into it. I would like to do something similar however if I create a new folder within my wordpress folder then the Atahualpa theme will not be accessible so the page will just be blank. I also have a further complication by only being allowed one sql database on my host. You can access the member's area just now to see the structure but using the link in the footer.

History of what I have tried:

I have tried several plugins:

1.) Secure files
2.) Member access
3.) BM Custom Login (not really relevant but a nice way to login in)

All of these secured the site however if I typed a direct URL to the protected content (pdf of sheet music) it would open and download which I don't want.

I am tried a few login scripts and tried placing them within the blue top banner but this has never worked.

Any help with the best way of solving this would be fantastic as I have been trying for 2 days now!!

My preferred solution:

A login on right hand side of the header area next to title "Pryde of East Lothian Pipes and Drums" which allows secures access to a folder in which content cannot be downloaded/accessed by direct link.

thanks

bandsecretarypelpb
Old May 31, 2010, 05:02 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Have you ever looked at Memberwing or BuddyPress? BuddyPress is getting a lot of interest. I have worked with these so I don't know if they have what you need but they seem "interesting"
Old May 31, 2010, 06:11 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I've used CaPa Protect plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/capa/) successfully on one site. You might also need a capability manager plugin to assign roles to users.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:12 AM
bandsecretarypelpb

2 posts · May 2010
I have looked at the suggestions and none meet my requirements. I appreciate the help though.
My server side password protection is .htaccess based so I thought I could make a subdirectory within my wordpress installation folder and password protect it, however it does not find the Atahualpa theme for obvious reasons. How do I solve this?? I only have one SQL database as well.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:38 PM
pascalel

16 posts · Jul 2010
I have been using Page Restrict plugin. Users must be logged in to view the pages I choose. I have the option to check "Page Restrict" on each New Post or Page. Not sure if this helps. Hope it does!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:00 AM
GrahamW

101 posts · Jul 2010
Wow. Memberwing is pretty all encompassing. I struggle to think of an application that it wouldn't suit. When you say it doesn't do you actually mean it costs a lot? Ifthere's actually something technical that it doesn't do, could you share it with us as that might be helpful to others later?

Best wishes
Graham.