Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Different Page templates

Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:11 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I need to create both page and post templates that will allow me to show different ads and sidebar content depending on the type of page or post it is.

And I need for the different templates to be shown as options in the creation or even editing phase, in the dropdown. I was able to do this using the Proximity theme, but because Atahualpa uses just the one index.php file, I can't figure out how to do it.

Help!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 02:48 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You could copy index.php as my-xy-template.php, edit it, and at the top of the file paste

PHP Code:
<?php
/*
Template Name: My XY Template
*/
?>
and upload it as /wp-content/themes/atahualpa/my-xy-template.php.

Then it would be listed as available page template once you go to the post or page "add new" or "edit" page in the site admin

The sidebars are in header.php and footer.php though

You can turn sidebars ON/OFF at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Sidebars. These settings would work on your my-xy-template.php, too
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:08 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
OK, thanks. I will try that. I have found TS Custom Widgets which lets me assign different text widgets to different pages or posts, even to tags and authors, so that adds a lot of flexibility too.

Update: That worked fine! Thank you so much! Now the Obituaries page has a banner ad for a funeral home, because that's the sponsor of that section. Excellent! Now I need to figure out how to get the general ads in the right sidebar off of just the obit page.

Last edited by paulae; Mar 10, 2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: resolved the problem