Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

problem with Layout MAX width and XHTML valididation

Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:44 AM
frankhamm

35 posts · Jan 2009
56459 Mähren - Germany
Hi Flyn, I have a problem with my site http://www.frank-hamm.de. until yesterday i had set the width of the page to 99% fluid (standard setting) Now I have found that on rearly wide monitors (like 1440 an more) the content will be streched extremely so that it will become hard to read.

To solve this I have set Layout MAX width to 1200 Pix.

Unfortunately my site that was XHTML valid befor this change isn´t -XHTML valid any more.

Can yo help me?

Greetings from the german westerwald.

Frank Hamm
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:16 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Thanks for noticing that. Make the Microsoft expression a comment by changing header.php around line 65-81, from

PHP Code:
<?php // min/max width for IE6:
if(stristr($bfa_ata_layout_width'px') === FALSE && ($bfa_ata_layout_min != "" OR $bfa_ata_layout_max != "" )) { ?>
* html div#wrapper {
    width:expression<?php if($bfa_ata_layout_max_width != "") { ?>(((document.compatMode && 
    document.compatMode=='CSS1Compat') ? 
    document.documentElement.clientWidth : 
    document.body.clientWidth) 
    > <?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_max +1?> ? "<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_max?>px" : 
    <?php } if($bfa_ata_layout_min_width == "") { ?>"<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_width?>");}<?php } else { ?>
    (((document.compatMode && 
    < <?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_min 1?> ? "<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_min?>px" : 
    "<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_width?>")); 
    }
<?php } } ?>
to

PHP Code:
<?php // min/max width for IE6:
if(stristr($bfa_ata_layout_width'px') === FALSE && ($bfa_ata_layout_min != "" OR $bfa_ata_layout_max != "" )) { ?>
* html div#wrapper {
<!--
    width:expression<?php if($bfa_ata_layout_max_width != "") { ?>(((document.compatMode && 
    > <?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_max +1?> ? "<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_max?>px" : 
    <?php } if($bfa_ata_layout_min_width == "") { ?>"<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_width?>"); -->}<?php } else { ?>
    (((document.compatMode && 
    < <?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_min 1?> ? "<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_min?>px" : 
    "<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_width?>")); 
-->
    }
<?php } } ?>
This worked for me in IE6/7, FF2/3, Opera and Safari, the min/max width keeps working in IE6, and W3C is happy, too.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:47 AM
frankhamm

35 posts · Jan 2009
56459 Mähren - Germany
Hi Flyn thanks for your respond:

I have change the part of the header.php as decribed to:

<?php // min/max width for IE6:
if(stristr($bfa_ata_layout_width, 'px') === FALSE && ($bfa_ata_layout_min != "" OR $bfa_ata_layout_max != "" )) { ?>
* html div#wrapper {
<!--
width:expression<?php if($bfa_ata_layout_max_width != "") { ?>(((document.compatMode &&
document.compatMode=='CSS1Compat') ?
document.documentElement.clientWidth :
> <?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_max +1; ?> ? "<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_max; ?>px" :
<?php } if($bfa_ata_layout_min_width == "") { ?>"<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_width; ?>");}<?php } else { ?>
(((document.compatMode &&
document.compatMode=='CSS1Compat') ?
document.documentElement.clientWidth :
< <?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_min + 1; ?> ? "<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_min; ?>px" :
"<?php echo $bfa_ata_layout_width; ?>"));
-->
}
<?php } } ?>

I have NOT change anything else !!

Than I have check XHTML Validation again and got more error as before. This is the result of my Validation:

Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Strict!
Result: 10 Errors, 1 warning(s)
Address: http://www.frank-hamm.de

Validation Output: 10 Errors

1. Warning Line 762, Column 4: S separator in comment declaration.

<!-- Start Of Script Generated By WP-PageNavi 2.40 -->

This may happen if you have consecutive comments but did not close one of them properly. The proper syntax for comments is <!-- my comment -->.
2. Error Line 762, Column 5: invalid comment declaration: found name start character outside comment but inside comment declaration.

3. Info Line 93, Column 0: comment declaration started here.

<!--

4. Error Line 763, Column 135: document type does not allow element "link" here.

…css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

The element named above was found in a context where it is not allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements -- such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error).
5. Error Line 765, Column 182: document type does not allow element "link" here.

…/nextgen-gallery/xml/media-rss.php' />

The element named above was found in a context where it is not allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements -- such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error).
6. Error Line 768, Column 89: document type does not allow element "script" here.

…ens.com/current/piclens_optimized.js"></script>

7. Error Line 769, Column 72: document type does not allow element "style" here.

…ris/PicLens support --><style type="text/css">

8. Error Line 773, Column 6: end tag for "style" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.

</head>

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".
9. Info Line 67, Column 0: start tag was here.

<style type="text/css">

10. Error Line 762, Column 2: XML Parsing Error: Comment not terminated .

11. Error Line 773, Column 7: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: style line 67 and head.

</head>

12. Error Line 1023, Column 7: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: head line 4 and html.

</html>

13. Error Line 1023, Column 7: XML Parsing Error: Premature end of data in tag html line 3.

</html>

Any Ideas wants wrong for my site?

Thanks in advance

Frank

Last edited by frankhamm; Feb 18, 2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:58 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Sorry I didn't think about having max-width only (without min-width), I corrected the replacement code above (added one --> in the middle), please try again.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 04:04 AM
frankhamm

35 posts · Jan 2009
56459 Mähren - Germany
Hallo Flyn

It works like a charm - thank you SO MUCH

Kind regards from the Westerwald

Frank Hamm