Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Footer credit link removal

Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:45 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Those who had inquired about footer credit link removal in the past and got instructions for this after they sent a donation: Since version 3.3 the new location is in the same file, but 138 and 139 lines further down (It's 2 lines now)

If you're interested in footer link removal, most users donated around $20 for instructions on how to do this. Please send me a short PM after you made a donation

UPDATE: Donors receive footer link removal instructions at the bottom of an automated Private Message, after they made a donation.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 04:27 PM
MtnBiker

8 posts · Mar 2009
California
I don't mind the footer link. But as I remember it was shorter in the previous version and Atahualpa was mentioned.

Maybe it's me, but the current footer seems so generic that no one will click on it:
WordPress · Wordpress Templates · Custom Wordpress Templates

And the third link goes to something that isn't clear what it's for.

I'm not against donating, in fact plan to soon. I am new to the theme and want to make sure it works for me.

Thanks for all your hard work. It's a great concept and is well executed. Fills a need. Easier than writing and maintaining one's own theme, but easier to customize.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:59 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I will change the wording a bit in the next version. However they both go to my sites, both of which are relevant (to the theme). One to the Atahualpa Site, one to the author site (themeframe.com). I simply chose to link to my new site themeframe.com instead of www.bytesforall.com.

Not directed at you, just generally speaking:

You'll never see anything unrelated or spammy from me in the footer. And I prefer donations over links anyway so there's an easy way out, and I am even leaving the amount up to you. Remember that with many "premium" themes you've got to pay for footer removal even though you already paid $50-$100 for the theme. And on top of that, the support is sometimes less, too.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 09:32 AM
vinniev

22 posts · Mar 2009
No doubt this is an awesome theme!

Quote:
Maybe it's me, but the current footer seems so generic that no one will click on it:
WordPress · Wordpress Templates · Custom Wordpress Templates
You also have to remember that the footer link is not necessarily intended to be clicked on. It's sending popularity (link juice) from your site to this one which makes it more popular in the eyes of the search engines.

Great way of saying, "Thanks for all your hard work" but not as great as a cash donation!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:08 AM
maison09

2 posts · Apr 2009
[quote=
Great way of saying, "Thanks for all your hard work" but not as great as a cash donation! [/QUOTE]

Very good idea.

Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:51 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Let me toss my two cents in here as well ...

Personally I have no problem having and leaving the links to Flynn's sites in the footer. I'm also adding them to my Techie Blogroll links to make sure they aren't missed.

The more users of Atahualpa the merrier for all of us.

And, hopefully, the more donations for Flynn so we can keep him at his magic keyboard.

P.S. I did a LOT of research into templates, commercial and otherwise, before choosing Flynn's and there just flat out is none better. None.

Last edited by fromtheranks; Jun 29, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:17 AM
Craig Atkinson

53 posts · Mar 2009
I'd like to leave the links and credits - it's a great theme. What I would like to do though is move them to my 'about' page and change the targets to _blank. Any ideas? I'll hapily donate a few $. I'm no millionaire though!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:02 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
To avoid any confusion: A donation is NOT mandatory to remove the footer links.

I simply ask for a donation from those who want help with that.

A donation also highlights your user name and will get you access to video tutorials that I am about to make. I am obviously trying to encourage donations. Help with the credit links is just one part of the donor benefits.

Craig, I replied to your PM

P.S.: To those who find this fishy, unethical, spammy, criminal or "against the spirit of GPL" I suggest that they not only read the GPL again but also contribute something of at least 1/10 the size of Atahualpa to the GPL world. Not say they could, would or should, but actually do.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:20 PM
Brad Smith

7 posts · Apr 2010
South Carolina
Flynn, I foolishly followed the advice on another thread and altered the footer credit. I was trying to remove the 'discuss on WP forum' part. My site now does not appear. I cannot login to reverse what I did. I now see I should have paid for legit instructions on how to do this. Can you help me fix/undo my edit?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
just upload a new copy of the code you were changing.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:59 PM
Brad Smith

7 posts · Apr 2010
South Carolina
Now that was easy! Thank you so much. I got it fixed super quick.

Now that I know how to reverse an errant code edit, I will go back and monkey around with the file to get rid of that portion of the footer text I was originally trying to remove.

Curious, I sent in a donation but when I click my name and choose 'donation status' it is not reflected there. Did I do something wrong and more importantly, did you get my donation OK?

Last edited by Brad Smith; Apr 13, 2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:18 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I have to manually add donations sent to me since I'm seperate from Flynn. Thnaks for the donation, it should show now.
Old May 11, 2010, 07:53 AM
bbtunnel

7 posts · Dec 2009
Ozone Park, NY
Does this apply to 3.4.9 release?
Old May 11, 2010, 08:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
yes it does - see gold forum tutorial
Old May 18, 2010, 03:45 PM
inkan

22 posts · Dec 2009
Jönköping, Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to inkan
I want to send a donation for the link removal in the footer, but I am not sure how to send it to Flynn. Flynn answered many of my questions but as I didn´t post the question it seams that his name is not showing up at the Donation page. Is it OK to send a donation to Juggledad for the same purpose?

I am a big fan of this theme - thanks for keeping it working!
Old May 18, 2010, 04:02 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you want to send to Flynn use the top button labeled 'Check out with PayPay'
Old May 18, 2010, 04:24 PM
inkan

22 posts · Dec 2009
Jönköping, Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to inkan
OK, I know - I will split the donation between you. I hope that I can send it from a different email address than I am using here, so I don´t have to register for more paypal accounts. I´ll PM you.
Inkan
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:17 PM
Toasty

4 posts · Jun 2010
Hi Flynn,

Made a donation a couple of days ago and sent you a PM but no instructions as yet.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:41 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
send me a PM with the paypal info. You may not have been logged in at the time and the donation wouldn't register on your forum id.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:22 PM
Toasty

4 posts · Jun 2010
Thanks JD, have sent you the info.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:27 PM
edyrio

4 posts · Feb 2009
Dear Flynn,

My sincere congratulations for the excellent theme for wordpress that you invented.

It really solved my problem by doing some quick work on wordpress.

I made a donation of $ 20, as mentioned to become Gold Member of the forum of BFA.

How should I send you the proof?

I would also like information on how to modify the links in the credits of Atahualpa 3.5.1

Grateful for the attention.

Sincerely,

Edney Alessandro (edyrio)
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
edyrio - you are already a gold member so you have access to the Gold Forums. Look in the Tutorials subforum and you will find directions
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:06 PM
jojo2056

2 posts · Jun 2010
Dear Flynn and Juggledad,

I made a $20 donation to become a Gold Member and have sent two PM with my Paypal email address info but no response. I paid as unregistered with Paypal and used a credit card. I have now registered with Paypal. Does that make a difference?

Thanks for the great theme and forum!
JoAnne
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
JoAnne, please send me a PM with a copy of the pay pal confirmation and I'll look into it
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:01 PM
RedTwenty

7 posts · Aug 2010
NSW, Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to RedTwenty
Hi Guys,

I normally don't mind leaving the link in but I have made a site for someone that wants it removed (so we have space for new widget areas).
I have made a donation to "General Goal" using the link in the Ata settings page but as yet I have not had any response (and I don't want to keep bombarding poor Flynn with PM's!).

Do I need to do something else (I can PM the PayPal transaction ID somewhere if you like)?

Thanks - and thanks for a stunning theme!

Mike