Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Nivo Silder

Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
lakewooditsupport

48 posts · Jun 2011
England, United Kingdom
I wanted the image on my home page to rotate showing different images that are clickable and link to different sections of the website.

http://lakewooditsupport.co.uk

I have tried loads of free sliders and all are a pain and never look clean and link. I don't want captions and overlays just plain images that can be clicked.

I found this : http://nivo.dev7studios.com/#support

and its just what I've been looking for but without the arrows on the images just the bullets under to navigate if needed.

I would pay the $15 but I don't know if it can be linked to different pages and, I'm not really that sharp with java. I would try their forum but I have more trust in you guys.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:09 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I like the Cimy Header Image Rotator
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:17 PM
lakewooditsupport

48 posts · Jun 2011
England, United Kingdom
Just thought I would let you guys know how I got on, I finally went and got the Nivo Slider plugin after trying tonnes of others to no avail. Anyway after a good few hours of messing with the CSS I finally got it to look how I wanted :D.

Let me know what you think? and if you see any error at your end. http://lakewooditsupport.co.uk/
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:23 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Looks nice... Which Nivo Slide plugin did you use?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:27 PM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
Lakewooditsupport, Where did you put their suggested php?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:56 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You would add a new widget area where you want the slider to appear and then use the php code or in some cases a shortcode in either a php aware or shortcode aware widget.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:10 PM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
lmilesw, thanks for the quick response! Forgive me but I'm a new to php and any code in general and I'm not sure how to do either of those. I was able to figure out the cimy header rotater by puting the code where %image goes, but this slider seems to require a little more figuring out. Could I ask you to hold my hand and walk me through adding a new widget area where the header image is supposed to go and how to use the php.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:47 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
To really walk you though this would take quite a bit of time until you get familiar with how some of this works.

First look in the ATO>Add New Widget Areas section and read through the info there and try out creating a basic new widget area. Use the Minimum Required Values code.

Once you have a new widget area you can put any widget in it. One I use that is php aware is the Linkable Titles Html Php widget.

When you have a bit of experience playing with this post a new question and we can move on.

When I first installed this theme it was a bit overwhelming so I played with it on a test site.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:01 PM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
Larry, Thanks so much. I think that will be a good way to get started and get familiar with the process. Im planning on donating so I can get read some of the threads in the gold area!

Thanks again,
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:45 AM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
Larry,

I added a new widget area using the minimum requirements in my "configure header area"
HTML Code:
%logo <?php bfa_widget_area('name=My_header_widge_ area'); ?>
I've also got the Linkable Titles Html php widget inside the new widget area.

According to the nivo slider install instructions shown here http://vimeo.com/11698666 your supposed to put the code
HTML Code:
<?php if ( function_exists('show_nivo_slider') )  { show_nivo_slider(); } ?>
into the index file. But from reading other threads on here it seems like that would not be the way to do this anymore. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 28, 2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:18 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
try adding that code as the first part of your code in the widget - you will need the 'exec php' plugin installed also
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:11 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You just put
HTML Code:
<?php if ( function_exists('show_nivo_slider') )  { show_nivo_slider(); } ?>
Inside the Linkable Title widget. That widget is php aware.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:51 AM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
Larry,

Thanks I got it working, kinda. http://www.kneedeepflyfishing.com/ . I'm having issues with the images not showing up as their actual size that I input them as. I set the settings>WPnivo slider to the size of my images but all i'm getting is a thumbnail size.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you are using the plugin, what size do you have the slides set to display as?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:50 AM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
I have the slides set to display as 990px x 330x in the settings>nivo slider. My images are 990px x 330px.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:54 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Not having the plugin I'm just tossing out some ideas based on wheat IA see.

Do you pick an image from the media library to display because I see in the page source it is grabbing the 'DSC_0018header-150x50.jpg' and 'DSC_0018header1-150x50.jpg' images
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
Yes, the plugin is supposed to take the featured image from a post but for some reason its only taking a 150x150 thumbnail of the featured image even though when I uploaded the image I set it to full size just like the instructional video here http://vimeo.com/11698666 . Any ideas?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I would contact the plugin developer
Old May 5, 2012, 01:24 PM
jazzthespot

1 posts · May 2012
Canada
I apologize ahead of time for being a beginner user but I really need someones help here. I do have a basic understanding of html and css. I merely want to install a nivo slider into my header in Atahualpa 3.7.6 . I would appreciate very basic step-by-step instructions. Not sure which nivo slider is most compatible with atahualpa theme, any suggestions would be welcomed.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:28 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
This is where the Add New Widget Area function comes in. I would suggest looking at that section of the theme options and play with creating a new widget area. Then when you feel comfortable add a new widget area the Style Header Area box. Now you can put a slider widget in that box in Appearance>Widgets.

I don't believe there is a "best" slider. It depends on what you want to do.
Old May 10, 2012, 03:28 AM
Hody

156 posts · Apr 2012
How do you get the slider to appear above the first excert on the homepage, I have the php code for the slider, just not sure where to put it in.

It should like like here: stadtkometen.de
Old May 10, 2012, 08:32 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you will have to add a new widget area to the index.php code just above the line
HTML Code:
<?php /* If there are any posts: */

Last edited by juggledad; May 11, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
Hody

156 posts · Apr 2012
Thank you - again! Worked like a charm, just had to add one single line of PHP code, did not even need to create a widget.

The only trouble I have now is how to center the slider box, I think Atahualpa“s code somehow overwrites the nivo“s code. My URL ist www.tribe-online.de maybe you are able to pinpoint the problem, tried firebug already...

PHP Code:
#pointelle_slider {

margin0 auto;
 } 
Did not work...
Old May 11, 2012, 01:55 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Look at your CSS again and review how to identify classes and ID's in the CSS selector
Old May 11, 2012, 02:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You have to supply a width for margin: 0 auto to work.