Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Where did my right sidebar go (and why does my site load so slow)?

Old May 11, 2011, 07:01 PM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
[SOLVED] Where did my right sidebar go (and why does my site load so slow)?

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but if anyone would care to take a look at http://www.cornetsdegroot.com/ I would appreciate. I have disabled the last couple of plugins I recently installed but this does not change things; my right sidebar, which contains a search box, recent post and recent comments widgets is gone, and I don't know where.

Also, I find that the site loads quite slow, i.e. over 10 seconds before a page or a post is fully displayed. Is there a way to find out what is causing this?

Any help is much appreciated you guys!

Rutger
Old May 11, 2011, 07:07 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Have you tried deactivating all the plugins to see if comes back?
What are the setting for the sidebar in ATO>Style & configure Sidebars?
What else have you recently done?
Old May 11, 2011, 07:31 PM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
Hi Miles,

Thanks for your wise suggestions!
I disabled all plugins and did find what was causing the slow load time (the Nice Navigation plugin) but the right sidebar still is missing! It should be displayed on all pages according to the settings, and the width is 250 pixels, similar to the left sidebar.

I don't think I have done anything out of the ordinary lately, except post a bunch of new pages.

I am already very happy about the speedy load time; do you know of any other tricks?

Thanks!
Old May 11, 2011, 08:18 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
check your posts. This is normally caused by having copied a word doc into a post and the word styling causes an error and nothing after the post is displayed. If you look at the source you will see it ends after the post, no sidebar, no footer etc

so make the last three posts drafts then publish them one after another and see which is the culprit.

If that doesn't fix it, did you make any changes to 'the LOOP'? or any of the code in the center area?
Old May 12, 2011, 06:47 AM
RHCdG

170 posts · Nov 2009
Netherlands
Hi, Juggledad,

I think you're on to something here. The sidebar does return when I move certain pages to the trash but it seems impossible to narrow it down to the page that is the culprit because after recovering the pages from the trash one by one the sidebar remains gone. Then when moving other pages to the trash it returns again, but again, its behavior is not consistent.

I am in the process of moving 1000+ html pages from an old static site to this Wordpress installation, and I am using the Word utility to save time as it preserves all kinds of formatting. Are there any special issues I should be mindful of? And, do you have a suggestion as to how I can find the cause of this behavior?

Many thanks,

Rutger
Old May 12, 2011, 07:34 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Please explain the process that you are using to copy these old html pages.