Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

Possible speed issue culprit?

Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:34 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I've been complaining for months about how slowly my site loads. Today, after tearing out my hair again, reducing plugins and widgets, and trying every way I could imagine to speed things up, I decided to try one last thing. I turned off the footer option that shows the page's load-time in the footer.

Shazaaam! Could that really have been the issue? I swear, after dumping the browser cache for Firefox and Safari, and even dumping the cached files in the cache directory on the server created by WP-Cache, I reloaded the page, and it was much, much faster.

Am I going nuts here? Please go to http://www.larchmontgazette.com and tell me if it seems pretty quick. You won't have the measurement in the footer to go by anymore, of course. Just compare it to some other similarly "busy" sites, please. I hope this was the cause, because it's so easy to do without it, and so easy to put it back if necessary.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Well when I looked at this last night it was still taking about 8-9 seconds to load, this morning it loaded in about 5-6 seconds.

Looking at the source, the first time I see
<!-- Dynamic Page Served (once) in 2.128 seconds -->

the second time I see
<!-- Dynamic Page Served (once) in 2.128 seconds -->
<!-- Cached page served by WP-Cache -->

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 2, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:32 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I was trying things yesterday, and maybe the first time you saw it, I had deactivated wp-cache, then turned it on again.

Do you see any other obvious problems? I know we have a lot of queries on the front page, and a lot of plugins running. But the site was a lot faster (under 2 sec.) before we were hacked, and before I installed Atahualpa 3.4.3.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The problem with speed issues it there are so many peices an dyou can't setup a controled environment. Even teh number of hops to get from your computer to the host could change between refreshes.

However I do have an idea to seperate the time it takes to generate a page and the time it takes to serve the page.

Veiw a page and then go view the source and copy the code and put it in a file. Then upload that file to the Atahualpa folder (so any non fully defined url's will still work) and them view that page.

This will tell you how much time it's taking to serve the page.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:36 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Am I having an HTML brain-freeze? View it how, once it's in the Atahualpa folder? You mean call it index.php?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:46 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Sorry, once you display the page in Your browser, view the source and copy it to a text file called test.HTML then save this fully generated source of your page back to the server. Now you can view that page and wordpress/atahualpa are out of the picture

Http://larchmountgazette.com/wp27/so...alpa/test.HTML

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:00 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Hi, yes, that's what I did. http://www.larchmontgazette.com/wp27...43/lgtest.html

It's showing just the source code. Says it took almost 3 seconds. When we were using Ata 3.2, it was under 2 seconds for the rendered page. I dunno...
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Hmmm, that should have showed the web page, not the source. However, I saved it to my MAC then dragged the file onto Safari and it took 8 seconds to load. By doing this, you can edit the source and start ripping stuff out to see how long it takes for each piece.

Getting rid of the right sidebar and the footer script dropped the load time to 3 seconds

(just took 17 seconds to load - this has to be lag from the scripts)

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM.