Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] How to make links horizontal accross the page in new widget area?

Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:50 AM
igrowkids

21 posts · Jul 2010
Noosa, Australia
I have had to create a page-wide widget area in the header area to list my product groups (created in WP E-commerce...and they are not actual WP categories so can't use the existing WP menus thingy). I would like to

1. List the product groups horizontally across the page

and

2.Have the subcategories drop down as the pages menu bar at the top of the header area does.

www.igrowkids.com.au
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:11 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
That would really be a question for WP-eCommerce users or creators. That is not a theme issue but a plugin issue. With that said I would
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:35 PM
igrowkids

21 posts · Jul 2010
Noosa, Australia
My solution so far to create a centred horizontal menu bar using a custom menu is:

1. Create a New Widget Area in the header area
2. Create a Custom Menu with links to product pages
3. Place this custom menu in the in the new header widget area
4. Inserted the following CSS code

ul#menu-product-category-bar {
text-align: center;
}
ul#menu-product-category-bar li {
display: inline;
}

Does this look ok? Or is there a better way to acheive the same result?

I don't have the drop-down thing happening yet but stay tuned....
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:30 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
That made me think of something. If you have Atahualpa 3.5.3 and WP 3 you could use the WP 3 menu system to make custom links. That is part of the new menu structure. You would have drop down sub-menus as well and you can have any of the menu items point to anything.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:28 AM
igrowkids

21 posts · Jul 2010
Noosa, Australia
Oh I love this theme!

New Solution instead of the above simulating a menu bar with a widget area. Now using WP menus.

1. Downloaded Atahualpa 3.5.3 and updated files (didn't realise it was available as my WP dashboard not giving an update notice on this release)
2. Deleted the widget areas I had created in the header area
3. WP dashboard - selected the custom menu I had already created for the above widget area as 'Menu 2' in the 'Theme Locations' box
4. Now about to start styling my new menu bar with the new options area in ATO!

Thanks!

Oh, BTW - installed and using Firebug for the first time today - OMG! If you are a newbie to all this as I am get it - the whole world becomes so clear!