Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Installation help for an about-to-cry beginner?

Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:59 PM
niles

4 posts · Sep 2009
I'm not crying yet, but I am literally on the verge of tears after two days of trying to install Atahualpa as my WordPress theme. The last time I was on the verge of tears was in 1994 when my father died. So this is no joke. I'm not a wimp either; I'm just a beginner at all this. I've spent hours and hours and hours on this. My right eye has developed a twitch. I've tried going to the links listed on another thread (links to detailed instructions). They haven't worked. They talk about moving the file to the host server. I don't have a host server (that I know of).

There are themes that can be activated with the touch of a button ("Activate") using the wordpress.com dashboard. I've done that several times, trying Tarski, Monotone, and other themes there. It's a very easy process.

I like Atahualpa and want to use it instead of Tarski or some other theme.

But I am having a horrible time figuring out how to switch over to it or activate it, so I can get going with it.

I have downloaded Atahualpa 3.4.2 (it says it was last modified on July 10 when I look at the details listed for the file). I can find the folder. I can hit "extract." I can drag the folder onto my desktop (which I have done).

I am at a loss.

I can use IE or Firefox or Chrome. The current editions of all three are already on my computer. I just downloaded FileZilla, but I haven't been able to see how to open the program; and I'm not even sure it is necessary.

Can someone help?

Last edited by niles; Sep 18, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:44 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Unless you are using a local server (ie one that is on your own machine) you have to upload the atahualpa folder (call it atahualpa342 so you can quickly see which release it is) to the wordpress/wp-contents/themes folder. Once it is there and you login the wordpress, go to appereeances->themes and activate it.

This is true for any theme you use, put it in the themes folder and then activate it.

Who is your host provider?

Last edited by juggledad; Sep 18, 2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:35 PM
niles

4 posts · Sep 2009
Thanks for the reply. I will see if I can get it to work.

My host provider? I am using a public wifi system right now. Do I just treat that as the host or server? If so, what does the address look like, or where can I find it? Do I need to use that, or can I just go to wordpress.com? (I'll try the latter first....)
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
no not wifi, that is just how you connect to the internet.

basic termonology
ISP = internet service provider - like comcast or verizon
host = the company that your website is on - like godaddy, 1and1, westhost.net
url = the address of your site? (something like www.mysite.com)

some how you get to the wordpress dashboard so you can swap themes right? so you must have your site somewhere on some computer on the internet. You need to figure out who that is so you can figure out how to upload the theme and plugins (not to start, but at some point)

If you want some private handholding and tutoring, I do this. I'll send you a private message (PM) you will see an indicator at the top right of this screen) with details
Old Sep 18, 2009, 04:34 PM
niles

4 posts · Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
no not wifi, that is just how you connect to the internet.

basic termonology
ISP = internet service provider - like comcast or verizon
host = the company that your website is on - like godaddy, 1and1, westhost.net
url = the address of your site? (something like www.mysite.com)

some how you get to the wordpress dashboard so you can swap themes right? so you must have your site somewhere on some computer on the internet. You need to figure out who that is so you can figure out how to upload the theme and plugins (not to start, but at some point)
Thanks for the help and the offer. This is driving me up the wall. I have no ISP. I am using local public wifi (cafes, libraries, local college), so I don't have an ISP yet. All the instructions seem to assume that someone already has this. I may get ATT DSL in future, but not for a while. I want to use Atahualpa before then.

I have no website, unless a ________.wordpress.com URL counts as a website.

All the instructions seem to assume some other, additional website, which I do not have. I am starting a website/blog, which is why I am trying to get Atahualpa. I am just beginning a blog at wordpress.com.

Isn't there a way for someone who does not yet have an additional website or blog, and is just now trying to set one up at wordpress.com, to get Atahualpa?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:28 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
At wordpress.com you can only use the available themes.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:48 PM
niles

4 posts · Sep 2009
So it sounds as if I need to set up a website first, in order to set up Atahualpa 3.4.2 as my wordpress.com theme. I guess that is my next step then.

Thank you.