Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off

Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:56 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Very cool site qda ... now you just have to get them to update the website that the bottom links (dock, dine, play) take you to ... what a shock compared to the golf one!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Nice, clean site Kal. Let me know if anyone points you to a plugin or fix for the date issue, I would be interested in auto swapping headers based on date also.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:46 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I don't know PHP but it would seem like you could put a code like
HTML Code:
<?php $d=date("D"); if ($d=="Fri") echo "Have a nice weekend!"; else   echo "Have a nice day!"; ?>
in the ATO>Style & Edit HEADER AREA>Configure Header Area replacing the date with single or multiple dates if that is possible and instead of the first echo statement put the code for showing the header image for that date and the else would show the default header.

Anyone out there up for the task? Am I off base on this?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:10 PM
kal

149 posts · May 2009
Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseMann
Nice, clean site Kal. Let me know if anyone points you to a plugin or fix for the date issue, I would be interested in auto swapping headers based on date also.
Thanks! Atahualpa rocks!

I'm hoping some really smart person picks up on the swapping header image based on date challenge...
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:46 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
I don't know PHP but it would seem like you could put a code like
HTML Code:
<?php $d=date("D"); if ($d=="Fri") echo "Have a nice weekend!"; else   echo "Have a nice day!"; ?>
in the ATO>Style & Edit HEADER AREA>Configure Header Area replacing the date with single or multiple dates if that is possible and instead of the first echo statement put the code for showing the header image for that date and the else would show the default header.

Anyone out there up for the task? Am I off base on this?
That's why I like Atahualpa, because I don't know php code, but can figure out HTML and CSS ... your post above is like Greek to me. I just don't get php and whenever I mess with it, I break my website

But if someone can figure it out and can post the actual code itself, I might be adventurous and try.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:31 PM
pinkaboo202

6 posts · Mar 2010
I'm still not done tweaking, but my site is www.pinkyhasabrain.com.

When I started designing my site a year ago, I had no experience what-so-ever in setting up a blog. I was also clueless about using WordPress. Using this theme has made my experience all the more easier.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:41 PM
ksmith101

79 posts · Dec 2009
North Carolina, although Georgia (USA) is HOME
I am very impressed with your design pinkaboo202...nicely done!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:48 PM
pinkaboo202

6 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith101
Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Very nice pinkaboo202. I love the color scheme! Pink can be hard to pull off in a design but you've used it very well.
Congrats on a great design job!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:28 PM
kal

149 posts · May 2009
Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkaboo202
I'm still not done tweaking, but my site is www.pinkyhasabrain.com.

When I started designing my site a year ago, I had no experience what-so-ever in setting up a blog. I was also clueless about using WordPress. Using this theme has made my experience all the more easier.
Really nice!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:36 PM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
I love Atuhualpa. I am building sites with it (maybe 10 so far) and expect to do more. I came to Showing Off for isnpration and I'm getting plenty. I'm seeing things I did not realize were possible and plugins I didn't realize exist. I'll put a few of my links below.

But I am seeing something that I thinks needs to be considered. If you expect that you will be the only one who will ever see your web site, go ahead and build it for whatever screen width you like.

But if you want 80% of all laptop users to see it without an annoying left-to-right scrolling, keep in mind that currently all 80% of all laptops are set for 1024px. I suspect that if you were to limit the survey to notebooks it might be even more at that setting. That means, either set your theme for something less, or set it for a flexible width.

Then check what it looks like by changing your display screen res to 1024.

BTW - these forums are set too wide for my Fujistu laptop which is set for 800px wide - otherwise the characters are too small for me. That means I only come here when I'm on my desktop. These forums would be more welcoming to me and others with a similar situation isf they were set for a flexible width. I don't see the point of wide screens. You can't read lines that are that wide anywhere near as fast as when they are narrower. Legibility studies confirm over and over that onscreen text wider than 70 char gets more and more difficult, inversely, to read as line width goes up.

Here's a few of my own personal sites. None are very special. Pretty straight forward default, with only a bit of tweaking. All are being tinkered with a few mins at a time. So, each is in flux and will change as I find time. I'm not showing any of the commercial sites.

http://twoweeksintuscany.com
http://onemonthinmanly.com
http://appletreehouse.org

Last edited by joe hark; Mar 27, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:40 AM
suzrocks

11 posts · Mar 2010
I am pretty computer illiterate and have never designed anything before- That being said- this theme is awesome and although it's taken a lot of trial and error figuring out what stuff is related to what- think I've sort of got my site where i want it. (for the time being).

I either wanted super cool and colorful with lots of cool crap or very simple. Since it'd be way too involved for me to try anything spectacular and I'd probably end up throwing my computer out the window, I went with very simple.....

Let me know what you think- I need some unbiased opinions. I believe my parents and my husband will tell me they like it not matter what. I'm pretty much open to any suggestions that I actually have the ability to institute.

www.suzrocks.com

thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:41 AM
suzrocks

11 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith101

me too! You completely changed the theme, looks great.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:12 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
My site isn't new, but I've tweaked it a bit lately. http://larchmontgazette.com.

We had too much in the left sidebar, making the front page too visually dense. So I moved the long list of recent post headlines to a new Page, Recent Headlines, using an archiving plugin. I got rid of the right inner sidebar and moved that content to the right sidebar. I moved the 170x170 ads to the left sidebar. I made the line-height of the text a bit bigger.

Overall, I think the front page looks more open. I also started using the DB Cache Reloaded plugin, which has reduced the queries from about 250 to about 25. I don't understand why that number varies from reload to reload, but at least it seems much faster now.

If you visit, I'd be glad to know what page load speed and number of queries you get, after a reload. The info is down in the footer.

Feedback appreciated!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:23 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I think the line height helped a lot. I does indeed look more open.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:39 AM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
Paulae,

19 queries. 0.706 seconds.

I like the new style!

Rashell
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:45 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Thanks, Larry and Rashell. Still tweaking...need a new logo!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:42 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Europe (NL) ber-art.nl Windows 7x64 WP 3.x Atahualpa 3.7.x
Send a message via Skype™ to Ber|Art
I just finisched: http://www.viskerresultancy.nl/ with custom headers on every page! (my own WP plugin)
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:44 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
And also just ready: http://www.mexim.nl/
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:48 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Quote:
My site isn't new, but I've tweaked it a bit lately. http://larchmontgazette.com.
Nice work!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:15 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber|Art
I just finisched: http://www.viskerresultancy.nl/ with custom headers on every page! (my own WP plugin)
Cool to have different headers on different pages.
Have you put your plugin on WordPress repository?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:34 AM
noahinBR

5 posts · Jan 2010
Seeing some of these other sites always give me more ideas... Atahualpa allows us all to look a lot better! Thanks for the inspirations.

I've done three sites so far, prayersforkate.org, ellphotography.com and cmrmedia.com (still adding content). these three were just for friends who had very old static sites.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:52 AM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseMann
Cool to have different headers on different pages.
Have you put your plugin on WordPress repository?
Another way you could accomplish the same result is to make the headers using new widget areas, and have the Widget Logic plugin control which header-new-widget areas were shown on which pages.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 05:07 PM
pinkaboo202

6 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahinBR
Seeing some of these other sites always give me more ideas... Atahualpa allows us all to look a lot better! Thanks for the inspirations.

I've done three sites so far, prayersforkate.org, ellphotography.com and cmrmedia.com (still adding content). these three were just for friends who had very old static sites.
They all look great! I've been inspired. Not just by your work, but by Kate's story as well. What a beautiful girl.

If you don't mind, what font is that you're using on the navigation bar on ellphotography.com?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 05:08 PM
pinkaboo202

6 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzrocks
me too! You completely changed the theme, looks great.
Thank you.