Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Please Help, I can't find the code:

Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:24 PM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Send a message via MSN to itbloke Send a message via Yahoo to itbloke Send a message via Skype™ to itbloke
Hi, I really hope someone can help me, I was attempting to get google analytics and used the google analytics plugin to add the code however it did not work, however what it did do was add " />" /> " /> term above the title, which considering my site is three word press blogs rolled in to one makes it look pretty silly when you go to one of the other blogs which does not have it, take a look for yourself, http://www.itbloke.net, however try as I might I can't find the where the code for this is stored so I can edit it out, I would be ever so grateful if any of you chaps or chappettes out there could let me know, as I am really fed up with my site looking silly

Kind Regards and Best Wishes ~ Ashe, IT Bloke - London...........

Last edited by itbloke; Dec 3, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 05:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
did you try removing the plugin?
What version of Atahualpa and WP?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:11 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Send a message via MSN to itbloke Send a message via Yahoo to itbloke Send a message via Skype™ to itbloke
Hi, I am using Atahualpa 3.4.1 and Word Press, 2.8.6, I have deactivated the plugins, but that is not the problems the plugins are designed to add the Google analytics code to my word press installation and have done so, deleting them will not remove this code, you can see it at the top of my site and even see the added code when you view, the source code for my page: http://www.itbloke.net however when I come to edit the themes files I cannot find the code it looks like:

<!-- Easy Verification -->
<meta name="verify-v1" content="<meta name="google-site-verification" content="yHmkpOhS2UNlE9o8mBdV9siIjWr9K9VvIXStOOxUd 8Q" />" /><meta name="google-site-verification" content="<meta name="google-site-verification" content="yHmkpOhS2UNlE9o8mBdV9siIjWr9K9VvIXStOOxUd 8Q" />" /><meta name="y_key" content="" /><!-- End Easy Verification -->
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="<meta name="google-site-verification" content="yHmkpOhS2UNlE9o8mBdV9siIjWr9K9VvIXStOOxUd 8Q" />" />
<style type="text/css">img.nothumb{border:0;}</style>

I can even the see the errors but cannot find out which file it is stored in, it is crazy all I want to do it delete a few simple line of code and I can't do it.

Anyway your reply is much appreciated I hope that, this information will give you a better idea of what my problem actually is, a simple exercise in code removal, or so I thought. LOL

Kind Regards and Best Wishes, ~ Ashe, IT Bloke - London......l.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Without looking deeper, I'd guess that the plugin stored some data in the wp-options table and that is where the code is. You should be able to switch to the default theme and if it is not Athahualpa related, then the problem will persist.

What is odd is if the plugin is disabled, tehn it should not be executing any code that would read it's options .

Try my first suggestion - swap to the default theme and see if the problem exists.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:14 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Have already swapped to the default theme and the problem, still persists, as anyone would expect it to as the code is in plain view, the plugin inserted the code somewhere a little bit deeper, it is crazy that you can see the code when you view the source code http://www.itbloke.net and then can't find it any where else,

<meta name="verify-v1" content="<meta name="google-site-verification" content="yHmkpOhS2UNlE9o8mBdV9siIjWr9K9VvIXStOOxUd 8Q" />" /><meta name="google-site-verification" content="<meta name="google-site-verification" content="yHmkpOhS2UNlE9o8mBdV9siIjWr9K9VvIXStOOxUd 8Q" />" /><meta name="y_key" content="" /><!-- End Easy Verification -->
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="<meta name="google-site-verification" content="yHmkpOhS2UNlE9o8mBdV9siIjWr9K9VvIXStOOxUd 8Q" />" />

Kind Regards Ashe ~ IT Bloke - London.......
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:41 AM
electron sponge

11 posts · Nov 2009
Try removing the plugin entirely, and inserting the Google Analytics code manually into Atahualpa Theme Options -> Add HTML/CSS Inserts -> HTML Inserts: Body Bottom. Paste the javascript code that Google advises you to use in there. The code should look something like this (BUT NOT EXACTLY THIS, you need your own code from Google):
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
try {
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-xxxxxxxx-x");
pageTracker._trackPageview();
} catch(err) {}</script>
If removing the plugin doesn't get rid of the extraneous characters being displayed, you're going to have to figure out which file the plugin modified and replace it with the standard file from a fresh copy of Wordpress, barring that you'll at least have to replace the particular section of code it modified.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:53 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Yer have already done that and the code at the top of the page still persists, I don't have a problem with Google analytics to work, the run wonderully now thanks to another plugin, my problem is removing the tiny bit of code from the top of my page it looks like this: " />" /> " /> have a look for yourself, @ http://www.itbloke.net , you can view the problem code in page source but I can't find the appropriate file to edit in my WP installation,

Kind Regards Ashe ~ IT Bloke - London.......
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Here is how I would figure this out.
1) I'd take a look at the plugin code to see if I could quickly find where that code is built.
2) I'd take a peek at the wp-options table to see if I could find it there,
3) I'd start sticking in php ECHO's and tracking the code down - I'd do this on a local server for speed

I am for hire in cases like this. send me a PM your interested.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:12 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Now after fully deleting the plugin, the code at the top has gone but all my posts and the right side bar are missing from view and when I press edit a post in dashboard I just get a blank screen although it will let me quick edit, I thought it was a bit sketchy to fully delete a plugin, {in my experience never a safe thing to do ever} have a look for yourself http://www.itbloke.net , heeeeeeeelllllppppp

Ashe IT Bloke - London..................
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:18 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
deleting a plugin should never be a problem...if the plugin was written well. Did you delete via the dashboard or by using FTP to delete teh folder?

What was teh exact plugin? Where can I get a copy?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:23 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
I deleted it in dashboard by deactivating it first then clicking delete, and hey presto half my blog is gone this is a really strange one, although on the bright side minor problem is now fixed just replaced with a major one, my business now does not have a website, really don't get this, but have a look for yourself, http://www.itbloke.net

Kind Regards & Best Wishes Ashe ~ IT Bloke - London.........
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
take a deep cleanzing breath - I'm pretty sure your posts are all safe. What is happening is an error is occuring while teh page is being built and it stops building the page in the middle.

Take a look at the error log on your host and you may be able to find a hint of what is causing the crash.

You might want to load a temp index.html in the wordpress folder saying the site is temporally down.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:32 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Hey slight problem, I am a former Doctor of Clinical Psychology and not an experienced coder or even administrator, really struggling to do error logs or anything like that, need to take a step backwards to get this fixed, not understanding how to do much of that stuff,

Kind Regards Ashe ~ IT Bloke, London....
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:42 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I've send you a PM
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:45 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Thanks that would be really fantastic, and I really do appreciate the support, but whats a PM ??????????????

Kind Regards Ashe IT Bloke - London,
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
private message, look at the top right of the window, it should say you have 1 private message.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:52 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
RE: Your Private Message,

<private message removed>

Quite happy to do that only would need a prior open explanation of method, because I have some quite upset investors now, so post away with your sales pitch and I will forward it to them,

Kind Regards, Ashe Medforth, for and on behalf of IT Bloke, London, Ltd

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'm not sure wat you are looking for. I'm offering to help you find out and fix what is wrong. In order to determine what might be wrong, I need to get in and look around. I have experience doing this and this isn't something that womeone without experience should take on. Your issue is a bit beyond 'forum' help, but you need someone who can root around to determine what is happening.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:06 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Hey, thank for the offer, but someone else from the forum is helping me free of charge now, as he feels it is fully in the remit of the forum, really sorry if this view is not the same as your, but thanks for the help anyway, Kind Regards, Ashe
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
well if you need more help, let me know. Good luck.
p.s. who is it?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:18 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Don't worry luck not needed this guy actually really knows what he is doing and how to interact with someone who is having problems on a forum, he is a real credit to this forum, however thanks once again for the offer, but not needed now, Kind Regards Ashe,

PS, Good Learning curve for everyone else, as a general rule, it is never wise to delete any plugin that has caused a problem until you look at it code first.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:43 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Please post a resolution so others may learn what the problem/solution was.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:47 AM
electron sponge

11 posts · Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by itbloke
Don't worry luck not needed this guy actually really knows what he is doing and how to interact with someone who is having problems on a forum, he is a real credit to this forum, however thanks once again for the offer, but not needed now, Kind Regards Ashe,

PS, Good Learning curve for everyone else, as a general rule, it is never wise to delete any plugin that has caused a problem until you look at it code first.
An even better idea is to be cautious about what plugins you install, as a properly coded plugin should "play nice" upon deactivation and deletion. When WP tells you a particular plugin has not been tested with your version of Wordpress, that should definitely give you pause. If it is a plugin that doesn't seem to be extensively used or has a low rating, this should also give you pause.

The whole idea behind plugins is that you can just "plug them in" and unplug them without having to do coding cartwheels... so that people who don't know how to read code can get extended functionality from what is in actuality pretty limited software. They shouldn't ever break your install upon deletion. I've been using Wordpress for quite some time now, and manage a decent number of commercial sites with it as the CMS. I've never had an issue with a plugin uninstall knocking a site offline. It could just be I'm quite careful. I think it is quite a rare thing, given past experience and experiments.

That being said if someone is going to invest money and/or time in web design using Wordpress or if they've got customers depending on their ability to manage Wordpress, it would behoove them to spend some time and learn how the back end of the software works. This will be a great opportunity for you, itbloke. Take advantage!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:56 AM
itbloke

14 posts · Sep 2009
Primrose Hill, London
Thanks but it was a high rated and tested plugin, so I am not sure why the thing did what it did, as you said they should just work straight out of the box, I have had no problems running and administering wordpress to this point, however it has just been pointed out to me that the plugin was as fault and had I been advised to not remove the plugin until someone had, had a look at the code then this would not have happened, so there you go then old boy, quod erat demonstrandum never remove a plugin, because it can cause havoc and destruction, without a doubt, it has now been proved.

However thanks for the advice it is really appreciated, Kind Regards, Ashe Medforth.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:02 PM
electron sponge

11 posts · Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by itbloke
Thanks but it was a high rated and tested plugin, so I am not sure why the thing did what it did, as you said they should just work straight out of the box, I have had no problems running and administering wordpress to this point, however it has just been pointed out to me that the plugin was as fault and had I been advised to not remove the plugin until someone had, had a look at the code then this would not have happened, so there you go then old boy, quod erat demonstrandum never remove a plugin, because it can cause havoc and destruction, without a doubt, it has now been proved.

However thanks for the advice it is really appreciated, Kind Regards, Ashe Medforth.
Not to split hairs but that's not quod erat demonstrandum, it's more quod erat dictum, as nothing has actually been demonstrated or proven but merely asserted.

It is a nice cautionary tale however.