Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Advice on Custom Template vs plugin?

Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:07 AM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
Advice on Custom Template vs plugin?

I'm looking for general advice/strategy....
I want to have posts in category “home” show up as full text posts on the home page, and excerpts of posts from category “XXX’ show up on the “XXX” page.

What would be the better way to accomplish? A plugin like "list category posts" or modifying a template?
I am not very good with php, but I also like to avoid plugins because sometimes they cause problems on the site and/ or become orphans.....would the php method require a strong php expertise or is it something that could be gleaned from the php examples provided?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 02:16 PM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
Adding the line
<?php bfa_custom_query('cat=5'); ?>
where 5 is the category id that I want to show on the page right before
the line:
<?php bfa_loop( 'postformat' ); ?>
in my custom-index template
displays only the posts I want on the page....however, its displaying just an excerpt, not the full post even though I didn't add the <!-- more--> tag....hmm...at least making some progress..
Old Dec 31, 2015, 06:19 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I'd create a custom virtual template adnd use 'the_content()' when you fant the full posts and 'bra_excerpt()' or 'the_excerpt()' when you want the excerpt