Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Insert Ads On Homepage When Using "Juggledad's Multi Column/Custom Query"

Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:10 PM
MoriokFutai

29 posts · Jul 2010
Hi guys,

I need a bit of help with a small issue please.

On http://CooliMag.com I use the 3 column template with "Juggledad's Multi Column/Custom Query".
I would like to ad a 300x600 AdSense add on the first row/column. Basically, this add will replace the first article in "Juggledad's Multi Column/Custom Query".
-- Please check the printscreen here http://coolimag.com/wp-content/uploads/media/CMAds.png for the exact location --

How can I achieve this? I tried creating a widget area in that position, but I did not find my way around.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:25 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
in version 3.7.12 you can now add a widget area above the center column as a theme option (see the Center Area option page)

I would use that to add a widget area, then use the 'widget logic' plugin to only show it on the page in question.

This way you don't have to touch the template and the widget area will exist over upgrades.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:40 PM
MoriokFutai

29 posts · Jul 2010
Hi Juggledad,

Thanks for the answer.

I tried that but it ads a widget area ABOVE your 3 row template - check http://CooliMag.com. I left it on.

What I need to accomplish is to have an AdSense 300x600 ad on the place of the first post (first row, first column - check the printscreen - where the red rectangle is) then have post excerpt.
http://coolimag.com/wp-content/uploads/media/CMAds.png

So, basically the first line will display 1 add and 2 post excerpt. The second line will display 3 posts and so on ....

Regards,
E
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:52 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
That isn't going to work without making some changes to the template. and at the moment I can't think of how to do it. If something comes to me I'll let you know.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:59 AM
MoriokFutai

29 posts · Jul 2010
I see.

How about I use a sticky post and insert the AdSense code into the manual excerpt area? It could achieve the same result, but this brings a couple of new issues.
Can you please help with each of the below?

1. On the homepage - how do I get to remove the link from the post title (ex: the post title is "Sponsored Links")
2. The last time I tried this on a different site, the AdSense was not showing. Any idea how to allow the AdSense Javascript on the homepage?
3. I used to use the below CSS insert to remove the Footer and Read More from Sticky posts on the home page. The code no longer works. Even if it is inserted in the CSS, the Footer and the Read More strill appear on the sticky posts.

/* Remove Read More On Sticky Posts
----------------------------------------------- */
div.sticky div.post-readmore {
display: none;
}

/* Remove Footer On Sticky Posts
div.sticky div.post-footer {
}
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
1. On the homepage - how do I get to remove the link from the post title (ex: the post title is "Sponsored Links")
you can't (easily) I'd hide the title (via CSS) and if you want the title, put it in the text portion of the post and style it as you want
Quote:
2. The last time I tried this on a different site, the AdSense was not showing. Any idea how to allow the AdSense Javascript on the homepage?
not without spend a bit of time on it and my paing customers (and grandkids) come first
Quote:
3. I used to use the below CSS insert to remove the Footer and Read More from Sticky posts on the home page. The code no longer works. Even if it is inserted in the CSS, the Footer and the Read More strill appear on the sticky posts.

/* Remove Read More On Sticky Posts
div.sticky div.post-readmore {
}

/* Remove Footer On Sticky Posts
div.sticky div.post-footer {
}
there is no class 'post-readmore'
the footer from the sticky is hidden
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:42 AM
MoriokFutai

29 posts · Jul 2010
Sorry for my late answer.

Nice to hear you reserve quality time with the grandkids . They're the most important ...

Re: "my paing customers" - how much would you charge and how long would it take to fix the AdSense posting in "Juggledad's Multi Column/Custom Query"?

Is it simpler for everybody if I go with a different theme?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
with 3.7.12 there is a new feature that allows you to add widget areas to teh top or bottom of the center area. This works with the 'multi column/custom query' template.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:02 AM
MoriokFutai

29 posts · Jul 2010
Thanks ...

My issue is that I need the Ad placement on the first post place from left to right on the first row.
http://coolimag.com/ - the ad needs to be placed under Sponsored links. The feature you pointed only allows insertion of widget areas ABOVE or BELOW the center area.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:43 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
how long would it take to fix the AdSense posting in "Juggledad's Multi Column/Custom Query"?
without actually going in and doing it my wild guess is a couple hours to figure out what to do, code, test and document it.

There are several approaches I can think of.
- hard coding the ad in the template
- coding a widget area in place of the first posts location
- coding an option to put a widget area before post 'n'
The approaches increase in flexibility, complexity and time
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:04 AM
MoriokFutai

29 posts · Jul 2010
I guess "coding an option to put a widget area before post 'n'" is the good way to do it.
This way, if someone want to insert a Sponsored Post withing the articles, they can do it via this widget.

Meanwhile, as I do not have programing skills, I will have to go with a different theme, hoping that you will bring these adjustments to the "Juggledad's Multi Column/Custom Query" sometime.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:10 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Meanwhile, as I do not have programing skills, I will have to go with a different theme, hoping that you will bring these adjustments to the "Juggledad's Multi Column/Custom Query" sometime.
since I don't much care for AD's on sites, it is very unlikely this will happen without someone sponsoring it. And seeing as you don't think it is worth sponsoring it, I don't expect anyone else will either.

Good luck with what ever theme you choose. I'll close this thread.