Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Bad Post Header Links in 3.3

Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:02 AM
BradBrown

54 posts · Mar 2009
I'm trying out the new version. I like the new functionality.

I did find a bug. On multi-post pages, the header link is incorrect. It uses blog address/post name, regardless of the permalink scheme the blog is set to use. My test blog has permalinks off, so the link fails completely.

My live blog uses a different permalink structure than what is hard coded in the theme, so I would run into problems if I upgraded. I think the links would work, but the header links would be different than the "Recent Posts" link to the same page. That would create canonical issues with the SE's.

I have another issue that's not related but not really worth a post of its own. I'm not a big fan of the new footer links. I understand the SEO basis for doing it that way, but I think it looks "spammy" and I don't like it on my blog. I am happy to have a link to you, but I don't like the way it is set up now. I'd much prefer you to go back to the old format.

Thanks,
Brad
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:40 AM
Craig Atkinson

53 posts · Mar 2009
Yes I too re the footer links.
My category / post title links have alos gone. Also the resizing of main images has broken, only the width is resized, leaving the images stretched.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:33 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBrown
I'm trying out the new version. I like the new functionality.

I did find a bug. On multi-post pages, the header link is incorrect. It uses blog address/post name, regardless of the permalink scheme the blog is set to use. My test blog has permalinks off, so the link fails completely.

My live blog uses a different permalink structure than what is hard coded in the theme, so I would run into problems if I upgraded. I think the links would work, but the header links would be different than the "Recent Posts" link to the same page. That would create canonical issues with the SE's.

I have another issue that's not related but not really worth a post of its own. I'm not a big fan of the new footer links. I understand the SEO basis for doing it that way, but I think it looks "spammy" and I don't like it on my blog. I am happy to have a link to you, but I don't like the way it is set up now. I'd much prefer you to go back to the old format.

Thanks,
Brad
The errors are fixed in 3.3.1

As for the footer links. Both links point to my sites, both are not only Wordpress theme related but also very related to the specific theme Atahualpa. wordpress.bytesforall.com is all about Atahualpa. Themeframe is going to be the site for a theme based on Atahualpa. So, one link goes to the theme's site and one to the author's site. It's not like I've put Credit card or mortgage links there.

What do you not like about the links? The fact that they are differently worded based on page type? I don't see how that would be spammy or negatively affect you. Or that they use terms like "Buy" and "Best"? I might remove those two terms in the next version but I wonder if you have a problem with more than that.

I am honestly trying to be not spammy, and I think that term is sometimes being used a bit too loosely. There must be a smarter way to "spam" than to put well over 1000 hrs and counting in a theme to get 2 backlinks.

I'd rather get a donation from everyone than credit links but that's not going to happen. You know that most premium themes require that you keep the footer links even though you paid?

As a donor, please feel free to remove or edit the footer links and PM me if you need help with that.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:48 PM
BradBrown

54 posts · Mar 2009
Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of doing anything improper and unethical. Clearly the links aren't spam and you deserve to benefit from your work. I was just referring to the way they may look to my sites users.

The end users don't necessarily know what Wordpress even is. Links for "free..." "best..." "download..." "new..." may appear spam-like, whether its for WP themes, software, get quick rich themes or male enhancement products.

This is especially true because they are presented without context. There are just random looking links at the bottom. If it said something like "Site powered by: Wordpress - Theme: Atahualpa by BytesForAll" then it makes sense to my site users. Even completely non-technical users would understand they had something to do with how the site works and looks.

Having said all that, I do realize how much better your new anchor text is from an SEO perspective. I also understand that very few people will even pay any attention to anything in the footer. So, it's really not that big of a deal, especially since you're ok with me changing it.

Thanks,
Brad
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:00 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Thank you for your understanding, I'll tone the links down a bit in the next version