Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

How to: one full post then two columns of excerpts beneath on front page

Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:23 PM
pvelte

38 posts · Apr 2010
How to: one full post then two columns of excerpts beneath on front page

I have a design client who wants me to remove Atahualpa and install Thesis because of one feature that she wants. Please help! How can I configure the home page center column to display one full post (the most recent) followed by two columns of excerpts? I've searched the forum and am at a loss to find that someone has figured out how to do this. I appreciate any guidance.

The layout:

1 - full post
2 - excerpt 3 - excerpt
4 - excerpt 5 - excerpt
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:50 PM
pvelte

38 posts · Apr 2010
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, when I set the rest of the posts (e.g., 2 - 10) to display as excerpts, they are in a single column, the same width as the full post. My client wants the excerpts in two columns (each 50% the width of the full post). An example of how Thesis displays this is at: http://www.artbizblog.com

Do you have any advice on how to accomplish this? Many thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:05 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
one of the links STB point to is this HOWTO: "JUGGLEDAD's two columm posts" PAGE template with posts above the columns
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:41 PM
pvelte

38 posts · Apr 2010
STB, sorry to have overlooked those links. I thought they were part of your signature.

Juggledad, I have tried to follow your instructions -- they make sense -- but am getting this error:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home3/chriscor/public_html/play/wp-content/themes/atahualpa364/template_two_columns_posts.php on line 22

I have the theme in place, a page created, in your template file there was already the custom field:

$my_custom_field = $custom_fields['posts_above_the_column'];
$posts_above_the_column = 2;

Lines 19 - 20. I changed the 0 to 2. I added the CSS insert.

For now, I am testing on one of my test sites. http://www.whitewingdesign.com/play/ running Atahualpa 3.6.4.

What am I doing wrong?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
which version of the file did you download?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:16 PM
pvelte

38 posts · Apr 2010
I apologize for the delay in replying!

I downloaded template_two_columns_posts36.zip, extracted it and uploaded the template file to the Atahualpa364 folder.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:12 AM
leahpat

5 posts · May 2011
JUGGLEDAD, I just tried to use your link for
HOWTO: "JUGGLEDAD's two columm posts" PAGE template with posts above the columns
and I was denied access. Is the advice in this link outdated? I am seeking a very similar layout-- full-width excerpt over two columnns of excerpts.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 03:54 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Access to the Gold forum is available to members who have donated $20 or more.

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:29 AM
leahpat

5 posts · May 2011
Shoot. When I finish this website, and get paid, if it's still in Atahualpa I will definitely donate.