Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Categories: Half my Categories Items are Missing from Menu on Page/Posts

Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:43 AM
Steady Hand

6 posts · Oct 2009
USA
Hello,

The other day I added a few new categories on the Categories page (WP2.9 and Atahualpa 3.5.1).

I have done this before with no problems. There were a total of about 30 categories showing in the Sidebar (upper left under the header photo bar). Those had been there and working OK for 9 months.

THE ACTION I TOOK:
Then I deleted about 2 or 3 OLD categories (I wanted a new name for them) that began with the letter "A" (as I recall..."Amateur" etc.).

THE RESULTING PROBLEM:
When I then looked at the page, the TOP 16 Category listings (terms) were MISSING. ???
The missing categories start with "A" and go to "L." What are still showing on a typical Page/Post are the categories beginning with "L" (Landscape) and going to "W" (Welcome). They are showing in the Sidebar (where they should). But, the other 16 category listings are NOT showing on those page/posts.

I went back to the Category Page (where you can add or edit categories) and verified that there are still those 16 categories with posts in them and they show on the Category Page (where you can add categories), but they do NOT show on the theme pages/posts. Only the LAST 14 items are now showing (beginning with "Landscape").

MY ATTEMPTS TO SOLVE:
I thought this might be a problem with the version of WP or Atahualpa. Or that I had done something to mess up my WP or Atahualpa (remote chance?). So, today I updated my Atahualpa by reinstalling the newest version (3.5.1) and also updated my WP to v3.0. Both seem to be functioning OK but the MISSING Categories (on the page or post) is STILL Missing.

I have looked at this many times, looking at the Category lists (on the category page) to make certain there are posts in those categories (some have 30+posts in a category on the Category page). I have cleared my cache, and done other things to try to find the problem.

I can't seem to get those first 16 categories to show on the pages or posts.

Any IDEAS?

Here is a link to my site: www.photomentors.com

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am a "beginner" with WP (this is my first site) and I built this myself, so I am to blame for the design mistakes. At this time I would prefer to keep the Category listing on the sidebar.

I am posting in THIS forum because the topic is about "Categories" and Atahualpa 3.0 is what I am using.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:45 PM
rosetrees

108 posts · Mar 2009
I don't know the answer, but these are the first things I would try:
1) disable all plug-ins - in case there is a plug-in conflict. If this cures the problem, then re-activate them one at a time and see if you can find which one is causing the problem
2) try switching back to one of the Wordpress default themes and see if the full categories list displays.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:39 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Steady Hand, can you point to a post that has one of the missing categories?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:32 PM
Steady Hand

6 posts · Oct 2009
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetrees
I don't know the answer, but these are the first things I would try:
1) disable all plug-ins - in case there is a plug-in conflict. If this cures the problem, then re-activate them one at a time and see if you can find which one is causing the problem
2) try switching back to one of the Wordpress default themes and see if the full categories list displays.
Hello, Thanks for trying to help me.

I have not disabled the plugins yet. That may come soon. :D

I did try four more different themes, including three "default" wordpress themes. In each case the "missing" categories did NOT show up in the category listing on the pages.

I tried "Twenty Ten" 1.0 and did not see ANY category links at all on the various pages I looked at, but I DID see the PAGE links (up in the big black header box). Just no Category links showing.

I also tried an earlier version of Atahualpa V 3.4.4. and it did NOT show the missing Category links, but it DID show the "last half" of the list (beginning with "Landscape" or the "L's" of the list).
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:39 PM
Steady Hand

6 posts · Oct 2009
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Steady Hand, can you point to a post that has one of the missing categories?
Howdy JuggleDad,

Thanks for trying to help me too.

There are several "categories" that are missing (they begin with the letter "A" and go to letter "H").

The pages currently show the category links beginning with the letter "L" (Landscape), and continue to the END of the list of categories.

I have tried a few things today to try to isolate or diagnose the problem (see my response above).

I have also "moved" the category widget back to the "available widgets" box and then back to the sidebar holder in the Widgets screen for WP.

I also changed the showing of the category links to "Drop Down" list (not something I want in my site design) and THEN the ENTIRE LIST of categories would show up in the drop down box!

But, when I then changed from "Drop Down" to regular category link (display) and refreshed, the list once again showed the problem (only showing from "Landscape" on).
_________

You asked for a link to a post that shows one of the missing categories. I suppose you mean a post that is WITHIN one of the categories that is NOT showing now.

A (missing) category that has many posts in it is the "Black & White Photography" category.

Currently it is NOT showing on the list of Category links on the upper left column (sidebar) of any page.

Here is a link to a POST that has that category as its FIRST category:
http://photomentors.com/2010/02/01/s...ofile-gallery/
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:03 PM
Steady Hand

6 posts · Oct 2009
USA
SOLVED!

I don't know what did it, but the problem appears SOLVED NOW.

As of NOW, the ENTIRE list of Categories is NOW showing on the sidebar. Amazing. I am happy.

What did I do that created the change?

I deleted about 6 unused plugins that were listed as "inactive".

I "updated" about 6 other plugins.

I suppose that must have done it. ???

I really don't know what changed it, but all of a sudden when I checked the site, the "missing" categories were back in the list!

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.