Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Web Hosting for WordPress »

Repeated hack attempts on my site

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 20, 2013, 05:38 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Exclamation Repeated hack attempts on my site

This is just an FYI for everybody here.

Last night, I received 9 emails from the Wordfence security plugin on one of my sites. The most important of my sites, in fact. I'll paste it here, with the site name redacted:

This alert was generated by Wordfence on "XXXXXXXXXX" at Thursday 19th of December 2013 at 09:16:38 PM

A user with IP address 112.199.116.75 has been locked out from the signing in or using the password recovery form for the following reason: Used an invalid username 'root' to try to sign in.
User IP: 112.199.116.75
User hostname: 75.116.199.112.clbrz.inet.eastern-tele.com

I never use "admin" or "root" as my admin name when installing Wordpress. I have several types of security plugins installed. But this kind of hack attempt is still scary. And I didn't feel warm and fuzzy after contacting Bluehost about it. I emailed them just to alert them that my site was under attack, and I thought they might want to know, since I'm sure mine is not the only Wordpress site hosted there that's being hit right now. I got back a boilerplate "here's what to do if your site has been hacked" email. Obviously, no human ever read my email.

So, this post is just a warning: never use "admin" or "root" or some other generic word as your admin username, have a strong password, and use security plugins. There are other Wordpress hardening methods discussed at wordpress.org and on many Wordpress-oriented websites. Be safe out there!