Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Upgrade: auto vs. manual

Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:45 AM
interage

98 posts · Apr 2009
Hey all...

I'm working on a site with many many customizations, and don't want to lose them.

When I enter the "manage themes" area of wordpress, there's an "upgrade automatically" link for Atahualpa - which is great, but I get a warning dialog "Warning - upgrading will lose any customizations you've made."

Does this only refer to graphics uploaded, or ALL Atahualpa settings? Really don't want to do this over.

Thanks!

M.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you will lose any images you uploaded and any customization you have done to the theme code. Your Atahualpa options will be carried forward safely
Old Nov 25, 2009, 09:00 AM
sdshane

1 posts · Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
you will lose any images you uploaded and any customization you have done to the theme code. Your Atahualpa options will be carried forward safely
I'm assuming losing images refers to images within the theme itself such as my header image, and not images within posts...just making sure here. I have over 5000 posts, kind of scared, lol.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 09:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
that's correct, the images you upload in posts are normally stored in teh wp-contents/uploads folder and that is not effected by an upgrade of the theme. I was addressing any header images you may have placed in the Atahualpa/images/header folder
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:25 PM
WebsitesDemystified

6 posts · Nov 2009
Can someone fill in the blanks for upgrading from 3.4.1 to 3.4.4. (or point me to this info if it's elsewhere)?

I'm wanting to do the automatic upgrade. When you say that the Atahualpa options will be carried over safely, do you mean all the changes I made in all the css and php boxes on all those wonderful ATO pages -- or will it carry over only the options where you click yes or no?

Okay, here's what I think I'm going to do...
1. Have the header image ready at hand to put in the new place as soon as I upgrade. (My only non-post, non-page image is the header image.) The new place will be found....?

2. Have the code from my ATO>CSS Inserts copied and ready to paste into the new CSS Inserts area after I upgrade. True?

3. Get and activate the new version with its new name carefully differentiated.

4. Header image -- do what with it? Will it be obvious?

5. CSS code -- paste and go?

6. What about plug-ins?

Seems easy, since I don't think I've done anything else, like edit any php files -- but I don't know for sure because I've been fiddling with this part time for so long.

Thank you so much in advance!
Sandy

Last edited by WebsitesDemystified; Dec 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Add question about plugins.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 03:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ok, you don't have to worry about anything you set via the theme - yes/no boxes, entries in 'The LOOP' etc, they are all stored in the wordpress database.

You will need to copy any images you put in images/headers and remove the three default ones (if you are not using them) and any other grapics you may have put in the theme folders.

You can have multiple copies of the theme (I tack on the version number ie atahualpa333, atahualpa344 etc) and switch back and forth.

if you added any CSS Inserts or used a url address that pointed at the previous theme folder, you will need to update that (hopefully someday Flynn will update things so you can store things in the uploads folder)

plugins are a wordpress issue, not the themes.

As always, you should make a copy of your database befor you make any major change to your site. I suggest getting the wp-dbmanager plugin for automatic backups
Old Dec 6, 2009, 03:48 PM
WebsitesDemystified

6 posts · Nov 2009
Thank you so much for your quick answer!

<<<<<You will need to copy any images you put in images/headers and remove the three default ones (if you are not using them) and any other graphics you may have put in the theme folders.>>>>>>
Okay, what other graphics would I have put in theme folders -- meaning where would they be displaying? -- and how would I have done that? Heck if I can remember!

<<<hopefully someday Flynn will update things so you can store things in the uploads folder>>>
This makes me remember that I've never been clear about where images are residing. May start another thread on this after searching a bit.
<<<plugins are a wordpress issue, not the themes>>>
Duh, silly me, I knew that.

Thanks again, JD! Off to backup and start the update. Think I'll update to the latest Wordpress first. Why not just go crazy getting up to date?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 05:56 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I've been known to add an image in other locations, like the image folder itself. You might have added a favicon or logo
Quote:
Heck if I can remember!
...oh...a memory is a terrible...ummm..thing to waste...at least I think it is....umm..never mind

Remember, do one update (WP or Atahualpa) and then test things, then do the next. it's easier to figure out where problems are if you do things one at a time.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:36 AM
Thomas

87 posts · Dec 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to Thomas
"You can have multiple copies of the theme (I tack on the version number ie atahualpa333, atahualpa344 etc) and switch back and forth."

How do you switch back and forth?
Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
when you go to dashboard->appearances->themes, you will see the different copies with their version numbers