Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

How can I control excerpt thumb size?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:22 AM
The Bright Side

10 posts · Nov 2010
How can I control excerpt thumb size?

Wordpress: 3.0.1
Atahualpa: 3.5.3

Hey guys,

I'm still pretty new to Wordpress and this fantastic theme. I hope you can help me with my problem.

Currently, I am trying to set up my photo blog so that on the Home Page, only excerpts will be shown with a thumbnail to the lef of them. If you go to www.knowingme.org and scroll down to "Laura: The Black and White Side", you will see that this is already working sort of okay.

Now, I wonder this:
  • In ATO, I set the thumbnail dimensions for excerpts to 300x200.
  • In WP's "media" settings, the size for thumbnails is 88x88.

However, the thumbnail shown in my thread's excerpt measures 150x104 pixels, a size that I never specified anywhere.

I got this thumbnail to display by defining the image as "featured image" in WP's post editor. I couldn't find any other way to do it - is there another way? Is the "thumbnail" that I configure in Atahualpa's theme options for excerpts something entirely different?

How can I control the size of the thumbnail that is shown in the excerpt? I want it to be 300x200, as I specified in the theme options.

And one last thing, although this is probably Wordpress-related. Wordpress (or Atahualpa?) automatically crops and resizes images for me when creating e.g. thumbnails. If I have a picture in portrait format, that can easily mean an automatically cut-off head. How can I define thumbnails myself? NextGen Gallery has a great tool for that, I'm wondering if Wordpress itself has a similar functionality.

Last edited by The Bright Side; Nov 17, 2010 at 12:51 PM.