Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Web Hosting for WordPress »

How to redirect complete subfolders?

Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:03 PM
Hody

156 posts · Apr 2012
How to redirect complete subfolders?

Hello,

thanx to the help within the community I was able to re-launch my website yesterday in a new design based on Atahualpa - Thumbs Up!

Now I have a problem with 404 posts and sadly was not able to find a working plugin that would handle he problem with one general setting, supporting $S. There is one out there called redirection, but once activated it shuts down all the traffic to my site, seems to be broken.

The probem is that I only need to forward certain subfolders of the old html page.

The syntax of its links were:

Page/Topic/../Uptodate/content.html

Now the URL should be:

Archive/Page/Topic/../Uptodate/content.html

The bold part will always be exactly the same and not interefering with any wordpress permalinks, so I think it should somehow be possible to redirect the paths with some kind of wildcard like $S through wpconfig or htacess.

something like Page/Topic/$S = Archive/Page/Topic/$S

Thank you
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you should read up about the .htaccess file and how to specify redirects. But that issue is not for this forum.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Probably better that you read up first, but I use 301 redirects often after shifting/rebuilding pages/sites.
I FTP a copy of my .htaccess file to local computer for safe keeping.
Edit a copy and upload to include a simple 301 redirect:

Existing .htaccess should look something like:
Code:
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress
Add a redirect for complete folder:

Code:
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress
Redirect 301 /oldfolder http://www.yourdomain.com/newfolder

or redirect from an old page to a new page etc
Code:
Redirect 301 /oldpage.html http://www.yourdomain.com/newfolder
If you try this just make sure you have a copy of the original .htaccess file to replace the new one if it makes your website fall over! oh and do a complete backup before you touch anything