Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Atahualpa - hoping it will do the job!

Old Apr 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
Biffburton

6 posts · Apr 2009
Hi Flynn

In an effort to cut out the constant asking and trouble to you, here is a list of what I am looking for.

Will Atahualpa perform the following:

Allow the use of numerous authors each to edit and add content including photographs but ONLY to a specific page or sub-page that ONLY they and of course Admin have the password.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:40 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
This is something you'd control through the Wordpress settings. There are 4 levels of user access you can grant, with various rights. If the built in user management is not enough there are most likely plugins for more fine grained access control http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:57 AM
Biffburton

6 posts · Apr 2009
Thanks Flynn, I will wade my way through the plug-ins.

I am surprised restricting the access of authors to certain pages where they are allowed to post isn't a common requirement.

Hoping we can get Atahualpa the way we want it for us to use it.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:14 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Restricting authors is a very common requirement. My online newspaper has about 30 regular reporters. They are given a username/password and designated as contributors. They can post their own articles and edit them, but nobody else's. When they save a draft, it sits in queue until an editor reviews it and publishes it. Works like a charm. You can set various levels of access for different roles. There is a more detailed role management plugin called Role Manager, but I found we didn't need that level of detailed control.
Old May 1, 2009, 04:57 AM
Biffburton

6 posts · Apr 2009
Thank you for that Paulae - it was cheering news and we will look in to it

especially after finding UK2.net (our web hosting service) has lost a lot of the content from our site as well as removing plug-ins and altering the structure.

This after spending three hours restructuring our site last night due to UK2.net being down for maintenance yesterday.

Needless to say we are looking for a new hosting service that will not give us this kind of problem.

Can you imagine losing all the above and having to restructure on your site! - Disaster to say the least.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:49 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
You mean they don't do regular database backups? Horrible! Definitely, get a new host. Flynn has a thread somewhere about the ones he recommends. He's in Germany but recommends some in the US. I've been pretty happy with prohosting.com, which I think is in Utah. I've used them since 2002 for various sites I created and manage. They are, usually, very responsive, and they do daily backups.

I also backup my Wordpress database regularly and automatically and have the file emailed to me. I guess one day this file will be too huge for that, but for now, it's great. I use WP-Database Manager: http://lesterchan.net/portfolio/prog.../#wp-dbmanager