Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

How can i restrict the authors from edit others comments but they own comments ONLY?

Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:57 AM
112358oo

8 posts · Jul 2009
Hi again.

I just make author test account to see what they can do as author and i found out that authors can edit/delete others comments even mine as admin under that author's post.

How can i restrict the authors from edit/delete others comments but they own comments ONLY?

I'm using Atahualpa 3.4.1 and WordPress 2.8.4. For enabling everyone to edit its own comment I used WP Ajax Edit Comments 3.01 plugin. When I noticed above problem I installed Capability Manager 1.2.4 plugin and have to restrict authors not only to edit comments, but to edit publish posts also. That seems to be the same function under the WP. Even more, WP Ajax Edit Comments 3.01 is not working anymore with this new plugin.

Here is the link of my website if that could be of any help.

Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
are you sure you are logged as an author? When I create a comment as the admin, a user with a role of author can't edit it.

I test by getting two browsers going, Safari and Firefox. I'll log into one as admin and the other as the author
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:42 AM
112358oo

8 posts · Jul 2009
I put my other account to have Author role and then tested it. I was able as Author to modify any comment in my posts, even the Admin's.

Here is the part in Codex Roles and Capabilities which refers to edit_published_posts for Authors and if you follow the comment link there (see also this comment on the...) you will find the whole discussion about it.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 08:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ahhh, I see the issue. If a user has the role of AUTHOR, they can edit any comment made to a post THEY CREATED including comments made by an someone with the role of ADMINISTRATOR.

However, If the ADMINISTRATOR makes a post and an AUTHOR makes a comment, then the AUTHOR can not edit any comments of that post.

Basically, the AUTHOR has complete control of the post and ALL comments associated with this.

Nothing in Atahualpa will affect this, you might look to see if there is a plugin that could help you.