Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Error 500 - Internal server error - when saving navigation menu

Old May 20, 2011, 01:38 AM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
[SOLVED] Error 500 - Internal server error - when saving navigation menu

I am using Atahualpa 3.6.4 and have encountered a strange error that I can't figure out. This probably doesn't have anything to with Atahualpa, it's most likely a general WP issue, but I need help and this forum has sometimes been the perfect place to go for assistance.

Recently I started getting an error message whenever I added a page to my navigation menu. Even though I got an error message, the menu change actually worked OK, so I could ignore the message and move along. However, tonight I can't make ANY changes to the menu structure. I get this error message consistently, and I'm unable to add any new pages to the menu:

Error 500 - Internal server error
An internal server error has occured!
Please try again later.

I installed a plugin to monitor memory usage, and it says I'm using 21 mb and have 64 mb available, so I don't think that's the problem. I tried disabling all plugins, and the same error persisted. I am running the latest WP 3.1.2 with Atahualpa 3.6.4.

I would be most grateful if anyone had any advice for me on how to fix this problem.
Old May 20, 2011, 02:09 AM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
By the way, I decided to try creating a new menu to see how it would work. I was able to create a new menu, and add all the pages to it (there are about 50 pages, I'd guess). It was working OK at first, but after I started to create submenu items, it got the same error message.

Does anyone know if there are any limits to the number of items in a nav bar system? It doesn't seem to me like this number of pages should cause problems.
Old May 20, 2011, 04:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
WHo is the host? Many hosts will report more memory than you are actually allowed to use
Try temporally disabling all your plugins (they use memory)
try temporally swapping to the twenty-ten theme

I'd also contact your hosts support about it.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:06 PM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
Juggledad -
The host is 1and1.com. I tried disabling all add-ons and switching to 2010 theme, but get the same error message. I am in the process of switching over my sites to a managed server, rather than a shared virtual server, so when I complete that this weekend I should have more memory to work with. Hopefully that will resolve the issue. Thanks for trying to help!
Eric
Old May 20, 2011, 08:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I believe 1and1 is one of the hosts that miss report the actual memory allowed. IE they say you have 64M but actually only give you about 20
Old May 21, 2011, 03:37 PM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
The problem went away after I migrated my site to a managed server - so now I have the whole box to myself, and all the RAM, and am not limited to a tiny partition on a shared hosting platform.

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts and try to help me on this. I appreciate it!

Eric