Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Permalink htaccess help?

Old Jun 11, 2011, 01:10 PM
verymarie

17 posts · Mar 2011
I'm trying to create permalinks like this : /%postname%/.

I created an htaccess file as described here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Per...access_file.3F

Anytime I change the permalinks to anything other than default, the pages disappear. Creating and updating the htaccess file did nothing other than get rid of the error message (that I need to create the htaccess file). Anytime I edit the htaccess file, all of my edits get deleted.

The file permissions aren't the problem. Set at 777 until I can figure this out.

I'm working with a client who's host is relatively... un-equipped. So that may be the issue? Or more likely my own ignorance.

Any ideas?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:11 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What type of server, apache or a win server?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:41 PM
verymarie

17 posts · Mar 2011
Not sure... I've been in e-mail contact with the host, and he's mentioned cpanel - so, apache?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:21 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
When you change the permalink, wordpress should be updating the .htaccess, so maybe there is a conflict with what you created and what wp is writing.

Try removing the file, then in wp set the permalink to the default, save it, then change it to what you want, save it and go see if an .htaccess file was created.

If not you will need to talk to your host about the setup.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:39 AM
verymarie

17 posts · Mar 2011
Thanks for the response. Do you happen to know what it is he needs to upgrade or install on his server?

I've already pestered him for a few other updates so I can run certain plugins... I will never ever do a website for someone using this host again, it's been a huge pain in the neck. And I don't know enough of the server side info to be able to help him much. Meh.

So it goes!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:10 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Can't help you there since (1) I don't know who the host is (2) what they have set up and (3) I'm not really a server expert
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:04 AM
aQuickStudy

43 posts · Mar 2010
Did you change the permalinks setting from within the WordPress dashboard? Just triple checking, since you didn't mention that step...