Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Help! I somehow broke my commenting form/comment ability

Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:56 PM
Flur

29 posts · Dec 2008
I upgraded to WP 2.9, and was playing with the idea of setting the comments to automatically close after 120 or 365 days. When I went to check to see if comments were closed on the old posts, they were, but then I checked the newer posts, and those were closed too. I removed the setting to automatically close comments after any time period, but the new posts were still closed. I then went and checked the settings in the new posts and they were marked to allow comments. Next I tried to add a new post, and the comments there were closed even though in the settings for the post they were allowed.

I switched to the default WP theme and everything worked fine, but when I switched back to Atahualpa it was broken again. What did I do, and how do I fix it??

Thanks in advance.

http://thewandergirl.com
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:34 AM
Flur

29 posts · Dec 2008
Also, all my posts have comments set to open (I even checked the database, not just the WP admin screens, and my default comments is set to open also). I even tried reloading the comments related theme files with no luck, and after that, tried a database restore to the last known good database version (with the previous version of WP) and that STILL did not fix the issue.

Any ideas?

Also, I've checked Chrome and IE (I usually use Firefox) and it seems the comment box does not show but ALL the comments show for each post, even if they were entered on a different post. Firefox just shows the comments are closed message.

Last edited by Flur; Dec 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:08 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Hmm, I've got a wp 2.9 site and I can't cause this to happen.
Does it matter what the number of days is?
if you shut off the 'Automatically close comments on articles older than __ days' and create a post can you comment?
if you turn it on can you comment?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:41 AM
Flur

29 posts · Dec 2008
I think it's a bug in the version I was using (3.1.8) that either was always there, or didn't play well with WP 2.9. I upgraded to the latest version of Atahualpa this morning and it seems to have fixed the issue (although I completely refuse to even try out the comments auto-close feature for fear of breaking everything again!).

I really didn't want to upgrade as I had to redesign my comments display and form and make various other changes, but I'm sorting it all out.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, in case this happens to someone else - No, the number of days didn't seem to matter, and turning it on or off didn't seem to matter. I even removed the theme completely and reloaded a fresh copy of version 3.1.8 and the issue was still there.

Last edited by Flur; Dec 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM.