Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Social Media Mashup plug-in url's break through Atahualpa's sidebars issue

Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:42 AM
clchleung

18 posts · Nov 2011
Hello all,

I am working with a client on implementing a simple, yet effective plug-in for social media to be on the right sidebar of the Atahualpa 3.7.1 theme and the plug-in works - however, the url's from the posts translate into long URLs that break out the bar and over the background. It is something we DON'T want happening. I have tried modifying the CSS for the plug-in; asking the unresponsive developer; and another wordpress expert. No answers yet. Can someone please give me a good suggestion for an alternative to display Facebook feeds without it being in a box?

Thank you all in advance,
Chris
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:30 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Do you have a link so we can see an example of what's happening?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:47 PM
clchleung

18 posts · Nov 2011
Here's the link:

http://leunggraphics.hohoschineseres...om/anotherone/

I placed the Social Media Mashup plugin on both sides of Atahualpa. You will see the article about Boston's Charles River URL is long and breaking the side. It is very apparent in the following current browsers: Safari, IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome.

Any ideas or suggestions are helpful and thanks!
Chris
Old Nov 8, 2011, 03:54 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You had me on that one so I did a quick search on wrapping long URLs with CSS. With the info garnered from my search and using Firebug in Firefox to determine the selector I came up with this code you can put in CSS Inserts.
HTML Code:
.smm-item {
    word-wrap: break-word;
}
I never had to use break-word before.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:15 AM
clchleung

18 posts · Nov 2011
Hello!!

Oh my, you are SO great! I was able to use the research you did and some of my own trial and error for the code to make the Social Media Mashup plug-in work on Atahualpa!! You suggested placing that piece of code for the specific div item into the CSS inserts. So yes, I did place it in CSS inserts and it didn't work at first. Then I tried to place it in the Widget CSS area and it still didn't work.

Ultimately, I was thinking "What if I tried it in the CSS file that came with the Social Media Mashup plug-in?" I placed the piece of code in the CSS for the plug-in and it WORKED!

I am now going to place this information on the plug-in page on wordpress.org for other users of the plug-in.

Thank you so much for you time and have a good day!
Chris
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:47 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
One thing to remember is if you change the code for the plugin it will not survive an update. Just to be sure... Did you placed the code in the CSS Inserts box of the Atahualpa Theme options?

If you did and it didn't work one thing to try is using !important, as shown below, to override the plugin CSS. Having this in the CSS Inserts WILL survive a plugin or theme upgrade.

HTML Code:
.smm-item {
    word-wrap: break-word !important;
}
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:55 AM
clchleung

18 posts · Nov 2011
Hello!

Yes, I did place the original CSS code without !Important in the CSS inserts for the theme and it didn't work. I just tried out your code with the addition of !important in the theme's CSS inserts and it still doesn't work.

Thank you for the tip on that if I do update the Social Media Mashup plug-in from the developer - it will break the code. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks again,
Chris