Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

Next/Previous Single Post Navigation

Old Aug 2, 2015, 04:41 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
oops, my fault, I had the option 'Keep next/prev. links on SINGLE post pages to same post category?' set to YES.

Edit bfa_next_previous_links.php and change line 98 from
HTML Code:
next_post_link($bfa_ata['single_next_prev_newer']);
to
HTML Code:
next_post_link($bfa_ata['single_next_prev_newer'], 'next', TRUE);
and change line 123 from
HTML Code:
previous_post_link($bfa_ata['single_next_prev_older']);
to
HTML Code:
previous_post_link($bfa_ata['single_next_prev_newer'], 'previous', TRUE);

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 4, 2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:07 AM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
Hey there...well that second bit of code editing disappears the navigation on the single post pages altogether. Was the second set of code meant to be done instead of the first changes, or in addition to? (I did them in addition to.)

Here's a post which as of tonight should be showing a previous link below: http://www.haikuniverse.com/117/ (and which tomorrow after 3 am should be showing both a previous and next)

Thanks for the work on this!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The page does not change
but I put in the new code
a cache exists...sigh.

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 3, 2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:55 AM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
Hi Juggledad...I appreciate the frustration you may have with people experiencing the same issues over and over such as changes not being apparently implemented because a cacheing plugin is in place etc. This, however is not what is happening here.

a) I deleted the cache (and habitually do so every time I make these kinds of changes) after making the code changes both times.

b) the page did not stay the same (i.e. your "page does not change") - what happened here is when I put in your second set of codes, the next/previous navigation buttons now disappeared completely from the single post pages. I don't think that has anything to do with caching.

So, my most recent question to you on this was this: You had me adjust code a first time, that didn't work. You posted your "oops" message with a second set of code. I made the second set of code changes. What's unclear to me is if that second set of code changes was meant to be:

-instead of the first ones you sent (meaning I should have undid the first changes you suggested and just done the second)

OR

-done both sets of code changes (which is what I actually did, leaving the single post pages now devoid of next/previous navigation...which is a completely new thing, and not an "unchanged" page because of a cache issue.)

What do you think?

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited by rickpoet; Aug 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:03 PM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Page does not change
but I put in the new code
cache exists...sigh.
p.s. with just one more syllable on the first and third lines of your message, you could EASILY turn that into a haiku.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 05:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Drat's ...it was suppose to be a haiku - I never could count vowels.

The first set of code would handle the case where the next/previous were by category.. The secodn set was for next/previous by post date order. They can both be there and should be independent.

I just put in a fresh copy of Atahualpa and reset my settings, then put in just the last code change and it works fine for me. So it might be something in your settings.

export your settings
attach them to a reply
I will look at it

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 3, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 05:18 PM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
OK, I have nothing in the Home Link on single or multi post page fields in Next / Prev Navigation settings.

You may have answered the question though, you said "...then put in just the last code change" - so should I not have kept in the first set of changes you sent to?

Regardless, settings file attached. Thanks! (I offer haiku services incidentally...

R
Attached Files
File Type: txt ata-wwwhaikuniversecom-20150803.txt (13.6 KB, 2267 views)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 05:53 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
your settings and the code change work fine for me. It's possible that you made an error in adding the code change(??)
If you send me a PM with an admin ID/PW I'll take a quick look
Old Aug 3, 2015, 06:56 PM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
Well no problem to do that but can you confirm whether both sets of code changes need to have been made or just the 2nd set. (It was unclear to me when you posted the second set of changes if they were to be made INSTEAD OF or IN ADDITION TO the first set. Right now the code has all 4 lines of code changed....I can easily reset that file and just make the second set if that was the issue?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 04:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You should be all set now - my fault doing a copy/paste (head slap)where I had you change 'previous_post_link' to 'next_post_link' and that messed it up.

It didn't happen to me because I didn't copy the code exactly when I tested it, I was just adding teh new parts in ...sigh...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:33 AM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
haiku

perfect Juggledad
website doing what it should
above and beyond

THANK YOU!