Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] How do I customize the teaser for each blog post on my main page

Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:57 PM
domino66

6 posts · Dec 2012
[SOLVED] How do I customize the teaser for each blog post on my main page

Probably a noob Q, but I can't figure it out. I write blog posts, and the default Montezuma treatment is to just grab the first few sentences, and display them as the teaser/excerpt on my blog's main page.

But I actually want to write completely customized excerpts for my blog posts to appear as the teasers. For example, a blog post may start "I'm going to write all about my favorite restaurants..."

But I want the TEASER / excerpt that appears on my blog's main page to just say something like "Check out my trip reports for Chicago's best restaurants"

How do I do that?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:16 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
if you manually craft an excerpt in the post edit, it will automatically show up.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:20 PM
domino66

6 posts · Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
if you manually craft an excerpt in the post edit, it will automatically show up.
I tried that but it didn't work. See screenshot below. Is that the EXCERPT field you're telling me to use? Because I tried, but the theme didn't use the text I put in there. It just continued to use the first couple sentences from the blog post itself.

Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
edit the subtemplate 'postformat.php' and change the line
HTML Code:
		<?php bfa_excerpt( 55, ' ...' ); ?>
to
HTML Code:
		<?php the_excerpt(); ?>
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:24 PM
domino66

6 posts · Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
edit the subtemplate 'postformat.php' and change the line
HTML Code:
		<?php bfa_excerpt( 55, ' ...' ); ?>
to
HTML Code:
		<?php the_excerpt(); ?>
Thanks very much; almost there...except that for some reason now my teaser (on my main blog page) looks like this...with an extraneous ellipsis and "Read More" in there:

FWIW, my subtemplate now looks like:

Quote:
<div id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class( 'cf' ); ?>>

<h2>
<span class="post-format"></span>
<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a>
<?php bfa_comments_popup_link( '0', '1', '%' ); ?>
</h2>

<?php bfa_thumb( 620, 180, true, '<div class="thumb-shadow"><div class="post-thumb">', '</div></div>' ); ?>

<div class="post-bodycopy cf">

<div class="post-date">
<p class="post-month"><?php the_time( 'M' ); ?></p>
<p class="post-day"><?php the_time( 'j' ); ?></p>
<p class="post-year"><?php the_time( 'Y' ); ?></p>
</div>

<?php the_excerpt(); ?>

</div>

<div class="post-footer">
<a class="post-readmore" href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>">
<?php _e( 'read more &rarr;', 'montezuma' ); ?></a>
<p class="post-categories"><?php the_category( ' &middot; ' ); ?></p>
<?php the_tags( '<p class="post-tags">', '', '</p>' ); ?>
</div>

</div>
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:02 PM
domino66

6 posts · Dec 2012
bump; any ideas? I can't for the life of me figure out where that ... and 'read more' text is coming from!?