Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Adding New Widget Areas & Position Widgets in Area

Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:43 AM
Ogregeek

3 posts · Nov 2010
Montana
Adding New Widget Areas & Position Widgets in Area

I would appreciate it if you could direct me to a thread/tutorial that describes:
1. How to insert new widget areas in a specific region. I read through the various threads and ATO>Add Widget Areas.
2. How to reposition a new widget area, as well as widgets in a specific widget area (ie. I added new widget areas, and included the 'sharethis' widget in top right corner above header image with code:
PHP Code:
PHP Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=headwidget&cells=4&align=1&align_2=9&align_3=7&width_4=700&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
I found this code in a previous thread, but I can not position the 'sharethis' widget inline with a 'search' bar positioned right in 'region 3'. The 'sharethis' widget sits center in "headwidget_4" and the search bar sits directly below it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
have you read the documentation on the 'Add new WIDGET AREA' option page?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:36 PM
Ogregeek

3 posts · Nov 2010
Montana
JD,

I have read the documentation, and researched various threads. However, for whatever reason, I am unable to connect the process of adding a widget area in a specific area on the page. I have seen the examples on ATO>Add New Widget Area and tried to decipher what/how the various code works and what it is doing, but I have yet to crack that puzzle.

It would be helpful if the line of code was written out, and the various pieces of the code were broken down and explained what each part means. I don't need specifics for what I am doing, rather, a general template of explanation.

Thanks for your support on this question and throughout the BFA forum.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
let's say you want to add a new widget area to the footer. you go to 'Style & edit FOOTER' and put the code into the text area named "Footer: Content".

To make the widget area, you can use the shortest and most basic code which would be:
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My_footer_widge_ area'); ?>
save the option and now go and view your page. The reason you do this is to actually execute this code which will create the new widget ares.

Next go to dashboard->appearances->widgets and you should see your new widget area. Now simply drag a widget into it and your all done. Go back and look at your site and you should see the widget in your footer.

Remember this code only creates the widget area, it doesn't create widgets, you can add one or more widgets to the widget area just like any other widget area (ie the sidebars)

Now go experiment.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
Ogregeek

3 posts · Nov 2010
Montana
I understand how to a basic widget area, but what I am having trouble with is adding a new widget area in a specific cell, as well as how to align a widget (i.e. far left in the widget area).

I see the example code for creating a table:
PHP Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My widget area&cells=4&align=1&align_2=9&align_3=7&width_4=700&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
However, this table creates a table with 4 widget areas that span the whole width. What I am looking for is to create only one widget area in cell 8, and align the placed widget to the far left of the new widget area (not centered, as by default).

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:49 AM
ghillcorner

3 posts · Nov 2010
i try to follow instruction written above but nothing happen.

how to make this to avail this kind of widget for me to easy drag and drop

i'm particular in the footer 1 2 3 4 for me to use in putting like site meter and etc.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:35 AM
Mykhailo

29 posts · Dec 2010
London
Thanks juggledad for your advices, really easy to follow. It's interesting though as I place a question in several minutes later browsing the forum I find your answer I was looking to chose between Flexibility 3 Theme and Atahulalpa and decided to go with the last one. Too many people using Flexibility 3 theme so I thought to avoid any footprint for Google I better chose this one.

I thought to ask about SEO potential of the theme, would there be any conflict by using plug-ins as;

All in one SEO,
Platinum SEO pack,
SEO automatic links,
SEO smart links

Thanks for helping
Mykhailo M.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:30 AM
dakhis

1 posts · Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
have you read the documentation on the 'Add new WIDGET AREA' option page?
Please, where and how do I locate the documentation on "Add new Widget Area".

I will really appreciate your reply.

Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:09 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
the documentation is on screen at that option page.