Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Best way to add linkable rotating images to header?

Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:54 PM
joegore

29 posts · Aug 2010
Hi folks --

I'm wondering if there's a way to add randomized, linkable rotating images to the blank area in my header (see attached screenshot).

FWIW, I've configured this so far using a logo with borders, rather than an image. In other words, my settings under ATO/Congifure Header Area are:

%page-right %logo

and...

height: 110px;
background: #eeeeee;
border-top: solid 5px #ff541f;
border-bottom: solid 5px #ff541f;

Is there a way, for example, to create a custom widget area in the indicated spot, and then use a widget like Grou Random Image widget? Or is there some better approach?

I'm way newb, so any advice from the smart people here would be immensely appreciated.

The page in progress is here: http://test.clubbo.com/wp/
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:00 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You could certainly do a "new widget area" type thing or you could take a look at this thread and this thread for some ideas.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:04 PM
joegore

29 posts · Aug 2010
Wow -- thanks for the incredible quick reply.

Sadly, I got stuck in my first attempt to add a custom widget. I was able to add it above or below one of the elements as specified in Configure Header Area, but I have no idea how to get it into the desired position, i.e. on the same horizontal plane as the logo.

Sorry if I'm mis-posting here — could be more a widget question than a header question.

Do you know of any threads/tutorials pertaining to custom widget issue like these? The info included on the the Add New Widget Areas page was insufficient for a beginner like me.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:06 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You can't get a single widget area on the same line as the logo. You would need to create a two celled widget area and put the logo in the left side and your image slideshow widget in the right side or visa versa.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:08 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegore

Do you know of any threads/tutorials pertaining to custom widget issue like these? The info included on the the Add New Widget Areas page was insufficient for a beginner like me.

Thanks again!
A search through the forum might reveal some information but I would just dive in and try your hand at it. It may seem a little daunting at first but if you look at the code enough it starts to make sense. And of course you can always come back here and ask questions along the way.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:11 PM
joegore

29 posts · Aug 2010
That gives me some directions to try. Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:30 PM
joegore

29 posts · Aug 2010
It's working great. I found this thread particularly helpful. Thanks!