Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Cannot get HeadSpace to work with Atahualpa Theme - any suggstions?

Old May 27, 2009, 10:13 AM
BJoy

3 posts · May 2009
Hi,

I'm Using
Wordpress 2.7.1
Atahualpa 3.2
Headspace2

Atahualpa has some SEO stuff in it, but it lacks the ability to accept meta description and keywords for posts, so that's the feature I'm most looking for.

I've made the adjustments in the Atahualpa Theme options. It's possible I got lost in the yeses and nos, however, I tried multiple combinations so I think I've tried everything.

In the Headspace settings, I put meta description and tags in global, home, and posts. The meta descriptions and keywords disappeared from the source page of the home page and did not show up on the posts.

Within the add/edit post area, the Headspace interface showed up, so I know it was properly installed.

Are these compatible and I'm missing something or are they incompatible? I've seen other posts here, so I'm guessing they are compatible.

Incidentally, I also tried All in one SEO, but couldn't get that to work. I don't recall the details.

Thanks,
Joy
Old May 28, 2009, 09:25 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Just to be sure: Once you activate Headspace most of Atahualpa's own SEO options should be automatically disabled. Did you put the meta description text into Atahualpa Theme Options -> SEO -> Homepage Meta Description? The text that you put there should indeed be ignored once Headspace is activated
Old May 28, 2009, 11:05 AM
BJoy

3 posts · May 2009
Yes, Flynn, it is my understanding that once I activated Headspace, Atahualpa's SEO options should be automatically disabled. However, no meta description appears at all.

Yes, I put the meta description text into Atahualpa Theme Options. I also removed it. Then I put it back, and so on. Unfortunately, you're right that the Meta description is ignored when Headspace is activated, whether or not I have it in Atahualpa. In other words, I have no meta description when Headspace is activated.

Joy
Old May 28, 2009, 08:16 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Could you turn on the "Default" theme for a second (and then switch back again) and see if it works there, to see if this is indeed caused by Atahualpa
Old May 28, 2009, 08:22 PM
BJoy

3 posts · May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Could you turn on the "Default" theme for a second (and then switch back again) and see if it works there, to see if this is indeed caused by Atahualpa
Will all the changes I made to the theme come back automatically? I don't have time to reconfigure everything, so I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,
Joy
Old May 29, 2009, 02:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
swapping themes will not effect your Atahualpa settings.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:39 PM
mcdhchuck

2 posts · Apr 2009
Yes, I'm having trouble with headspace and Atahualpa theme as well. Page titles default to ("sitename" | "title") rather than the desired ("title" | "sitename"). A forced title rewrite from headspace also has problems with erratic title format.

I think I've tried every combination possible to force the proper order for page titles but always come up with various problems with consistency. Unfortunately, Atahualpa is the only theme I've encountered this specific headspace SEO problem with.

All-In-One SEO plugin writes page titles fine with Atahualpa, but I need additional features from headspace SEO.

WP - 2.7.1
Headspace2 - 3.6.25
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:28 PM
bushtool

93 posts · May 2009
I was having trouble with headspace and atahualpa also. I switched to WP-SEO Boost plugin. It allows you to add a meta title and description to each post like headspace.

It also lets you flip post title/ blog title and has many other features.

The only thing I did not like in switching is the meta post titles that I put in headspace are not picked up by wp-seo boost.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-seo-boost/
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:00 PM
owenl

44 posts · Jan 2009
I have headspace running no trouble - are you setting up the headspace options right after turning off the atahualpa SEO?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:06 PM
AtlantaWebDesignGA

1 posts · Jun 2009
Atlanta, GA
I can confirm that Atahualpa 3.3.3 is not working with Headspace 3.6.26 downloaded yesterday and Wordpress 2.8.

No Meta Description field is being output onto pages, and the Blog title always goes first before the Page Title regardless of how you adjust settings. (I do have Atahualpa SEO setting set to NO).

I am a web designer with Atahualpa installed on 7 client sites and can replicate this problem. It did work on earlier versions, but not working on the latest versions of Wordpress, Headspace and Atahualpa. I've spent several hours debugging without luck.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:24 PM
mcdhchuck

2 posts · Apr 2009
I used a variation of the suggestion found here:

http://www.softwaresweden.com/blog/i...dspace-plugin/

All seems to be working fine now. No need to attempt to force rewrites any longer. Thanks to the folks at www.softwaresweden.com.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:29 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Flynn / Jugglehead:

What affect, if any, does the suggested fix below have on Atahualpa, i.e. are there any side-effects?

I was literally about to install HeadSpace 2, which I downloaded last night.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:17 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
It should not have any side effects. The code in question is being displayed if neither a SEO plugin was used nor the BFA SEO options were turned on.

line 54 in functions/bfa_meta_tags.php:

<title><?php bloginfo('name'); ?> <?php wp_title(); ?></title>

This is what Atahualpa displays if neither a SEO plugin nor the BFA SEO options were activated.

The code is the same as suggested by Wordpress. However they use the reversed version (Page Title first) in their default theme now.

<title><?php wp_title('&laquo;', true, 'right'); ?> <?php bloginfo('name'); ?></title>

Perhaps you could try this as well (instead of the option posted at softwaresweden.com)

Could those who had problems please turn on the "Default" theme for a moment to see if this is caused by Atahualpa, because I am not sure it is.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:59 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Flynn,

Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to look into this.

I'm going to install it now and I'll let you know how it goes. ... Stay tuned.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 02:07 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Flynn, et al,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner but I've been tinkering with Headspace2 (as well as a few other plugins).

First, your fix works superbly. I've had no issues with Page titles.

Second, HeadSpace2 seems to be working superbly, at least 95%+ as advertised. I've had no issues between HS2 and Atahualpa, and only a couple minor "glitches" otherwise (such as the HS2 titles not working with the log in and registry pages) but they are most likely due to conflicts with other plugins.

The downside of HS2 is that it is "a bit" complicated to get a handle on, it does a lot!, and there isn't much documentation. I've spent a fair amount of time tinkering and testing in order to learn, and appreciate, this plugin. There is still more to learn, though. For instance:

I am not 100% clear on the use of the "Follow Link" feature. (Perhaps one of the forum's HeadSpace2 users can confirm my shaky understanding.)

When I set a "no follow" for Archive Pages and Category pages at the Global level it applies to all posts on those pages -- in order to prevent redundant SEO links, which makes sense. ... Unless, I specifically set a particular post to "follow" at the post level. I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the setting at the post (or page) level overrides the global settings. Yes/no?

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:32 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
As an update, my understanding (garnered from others) was correct. You can set Global nofollows, and then override them on specific posts or pages. For example, you can set nofollow for Archive pages but then override a Post that is on the Archive page.

When and why you would do such granular overrides escapes me still, but that part of the learning curve will most likely come from usage.

Also discussed here (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...=9206#post9206)

Hope this helps.