Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] didn't make child theme before i edited CSS. should i upgrade?

Old May 21, 2013, 07:12 PM
sixleggedinsect

12 posts · Feb 2013
I am running Montezuma 1.1.3. It is my first wordpress site and i made a number of tweaks (which took me forever, and used a lot of your collective help) to the theme CSS files. the site is running well and is getting a lot of traffic.

Now I see there are newer versions available. I am quite happy with the site as it is, and wonder whether there is any advantage to upgrading to 1.1.9? I did not know about child themes when i did all the edits, and I worry it would be very difficult for me to re-do all the theme modifications I made from scratch.

So my two questions are: is there any easier way to retro-engineer a childtheme so i can preserve my edits? and- is there a compelling reason to upgrade if i am satisfied with 1.1.3? (security problems, future incompatibility problems, etc)

thanks!!!
tony
Old May 22, 2013, 10:00 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I don't know if there are compelling reasons to upgrade but with regards to your styling if you made all the changes via the theme options your changes should remain intact as they are stored in the database.

As always you should do a backup first.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:48 PM
sixleggedinsect

12 posts · Feb 2013
hi. i made a few changes with the themes options, but the predominant changes were by deleting and occasionally adding chunks of code from the CSS files, as in 'montezuma options' > 'CSS files'

any new thoughts?
Old May 28, 2013, 12:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The CSS files in the theme options are virtual files and changes made there are saved in the database.
Old May 28, 2013, 01:06 PM
sixleggedinsect

12 posts · Feb 2013
No kidding. So just to confirm- updating the theme should carry over those edits?
Old May 28, 2013, 01:21 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
That is correct but as a "peace of mind" kind of thing you can export your theme settings via the Export Import section of the theme options and you could also do a complete backup of your site.

For even more comfort when doing this test on a sandbox site. I think anyone working on a site should have a sandbox site to test plugins and things of this nature to get comfortable with what changes happen.
Old May 28, 2013, 02:43 PM
sixleggedinsect

12 posts · Feb 2013
Awesome. Thanks for your help!!