Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

add widgets broken in 3.5.1

Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:34 PM
lwoirhaye

6 posts · Jun 2010
add widgets broken in 3.5.1

I don't know how else to say it: this useful feature is not longer
usable.

I'm a new member here but I've been working with this theme for awhile.

3.5.1 not only screws up or does not display older adder widgets, it
also does not, in my work with it, sufficiently or reliably support
adding of new ones.

Just a fact. I may have to go back to an earlier version to get my
widgets back.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You are the first to rporta problem like this with 3.5.1 but you haven't given enough information to let us help you.
1) what version did you upgrade from?
2) what version of wp?
3) What is the URL?
4) have you tried everything mentioned in http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6606
5) has anything else changed at your site? Did the host change anything? Did you upgrade something else at the same time as upgrading Atahualpa?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:08 AM
lwoirhaye

6 posts · Jun 2010
1. I upgraded from 4.6

2. WP 2.9.1 I think

3. http://malibumentor.com/blog

4. I've wrestled with this issue for several hours and combed through the forum at length looking for solutions.

5. no.

This conditional code to make a widget appear beneath post 1 worked in the earlier version:

Code:
<?php if ( $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 1 ) { ?>

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=widget2'); ?>

<?php } ?>
It may be a syntactical issue. I don't know PHP. This code is copied from the instructions within the theme admin. The widget simply does not get created.

I should clarify that it is not that widgets cannot be created in the center column, it is that the widget that appears, conditionally in the loop no longer functions, but did function with the above PHP in the earlier version of the theme.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I have just copied that code and pasted it into The LOOP in my test 3.5.1 site with WP 2.9.2, I visited the page, then went back to dashboard->Appearances->Widgets and the widget are is there. I add a widget and it displays

When I go to your oage, I see a widget at the top of your center area, an RSS widget. Are you looking for something else?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:04 AM
lwoirhaye

6 posts · Jun 2010
Thanks for looking at it. The widget you see - the RSS window, is not conditional, it appears on every page. It also is put in above the loop. This does not seem to be a problem.

It is the placing of the widget within the loop that I'm having no luck with. This placement worked perfectly in the earlier version.

I've tried placing the widget both inside the <post> and after it, but since it doesn't get created I've seen a way to troubleshoot the issue further.

This is how I presently have it configured:

Code:
<!-- / Post -->

<?php if ( $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 1 ) { ?>

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=widget2'); ?>

<?php } ?>
Is this correct in the current version?

It seems to have worked in the older 4.6 era theme. I even tried hardcoding the php into the index.php file but that did not create the widget either.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:24 AM
lwoirhaye

6 posts · Jun 2010
I managed to create the widget, but only by removing the conditional php. The widget can be made to appear below all posts, but when the php is put back in to make it appear after post 1, it does not appear in the blog.

The issue seems to be that the present theme has trouble creating widgets that have conditional php for where they appear in the post loop. When the conditional php is removed the widget can be created, but when the widget is enclosed within the conditional php again, it fails to appear on the front end.