Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Menu doesn't display properly

Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:16 AM
drashok

18 posts · Nov 2012
Mumbai, India
Menu doesn't display properly

Top menu bar has partly moved above the top of page.

If I place it using 'breadcrumbs1-bg' the menu sags down covering post title and right side bar upper widget.
I made a shorter menu. Problem persists.

I did not find location of second menu.

I created single-dr.php to address the menu issue. After juggling with this for two days I find that when I update a post or widget, the update halts midway showing 'wp-admin'

I am using child theme for montezuma.
The functions.php enables to make modifications in 'Leave a reply' using 'comment_form_defaults'.
I do not know how to do the same with Montezuma.

function
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:59 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
more info please in detail. Url would be helpful.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 02:59 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Based on Dr. Ashok's profile, I think this might be the web site that he's having problems with.

Because there are so many different menu items, and there is so much text for each menu item, I'm thinking at a minimum that you will have to move the menu bar on a separate row below the logo area (and above the breadcrumbs bar). Don't put it inside the breadcrumbs DIV, but take it out of the banner DIV and create a separate DIV for it with a class of row, at the same level as the banner DIV. In your CSS, you will need to change the position property of #menu1-wrapper from absolute to relative, and you probably also want to change the float property of #menu1 to left.

What changes are you trying to make for Leave a Reply?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 03:56 AM
drashok

18 posts · Nov 2012
Mumbai, India
Hi CrouchingBruin,
Thanks for your wonderful expertise.

It's time to report.

I am not able to figure out using
1. 'Site Title' and 'tag' along with 'search' & 'categories' side by side in two adjacent columns on one row.

2. I don't mind if they are in two rows, one below the other.

3. The menu that you see now (NSFW) is a much smaller trimmed version of my original menu. If I wanted my original menu on the top,
# is there a way I can accommodate the entire menu on single row without overlapping?
# Is making fonts and cells smaller a good approach to have menu in one single line?

Why on single row?
When one menu row folds and is above another the upper menu cannot be accessed because the lower menu gets activated.

Purpose of 1, 2, 3 is to have all contents accessible so that I can do away with sidebar and use the full width of the page.

I did try playing with 'hamburger menu' github. It is widely prevalent and I would have loved to use it, but you have kept it in a gold mine. I will have to take few classes to have that level of expertise.

Montezuma interface of boxes makes damn good sense. I haven't been able to understand it much though fully documented. If you can give a link to where I can get more tips and names of some websites it will be easier for me to grasp.

Thanks for your time,
Regards,
Ashok
Old Jun 24, 2014, 08:29 AM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
To set your site title and tag line on a single row in two columns, I would move the tag line to a separate column div inside the banner div. For example, your header.php currently looks something like this:
Code:
<div id="banner" class="row">
   <div id="logo-area" class="col12">
      <<?php bfa_if_front_else( 'h1', 'h3' ); ?> id="sitetitle">
         <a href="<?php echo home_url(); ?>"><?php bloginfo( 'name' ); ?></a>
      </<?php bfa_if_front_else( 'h1', 'h3' ); ?>>
      <p id="tagline"><?php bloginfo( 'description' ); ?></p>
   </div>
</div>
You can move the tagline into a separate column DIV, but still inside the banner DIV, like this:
Code:
   <div id="logo-area" class="col5">
      </<?php bfa_if_front_else( 'h1', 'h3' ); ?>>
   </div>
   <div id="tag-area" class="col7">
   </div>
</div>
They should then appear side-by-side.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting the 'search' and 'category' side-by-side, I currently do not see it on your site, but you would create another row DIV like the banner DIV, place it under the banner DIV, with two column DIVs inside of it that is similar to the logo-area and tag-area DIVs above.

If your original menu is longer than what is shown, I do not see a way of having it all on a single row, there are just to many characters. You can try reducing the font size, but at some point, it will become too hard to read. You will also run into the problem of users who don't have their browsers expanded to the full width of their screen, or who are viewing your page on smaller screen sizes.

I was going to suggest having a sidebar menu instead, because that should easily accommodate as many menu items as you need, but since you want to do away with the sidebar, that's not an option.

Another option would be to always show the mobile menu. If you make your browser window narrower, at some point, you will see the mobile menu appear as a drop-down list. If you want to try always using the mobile menu instead of the regular menu, you can add this CSS at the end of various.css:
Code:
.menu1-mobile {
   display: block;
}
#menu1 {
   display: none;
}
You can learn more about box sizing here.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:47 PM
drashok

18 posts · Nov 2012
Mumbai, India
Hi,

Code:
<div id="banner-bg" class="cf">
		<div id="logo-area" class="col5">
			</<?php bfa_if_front_y welse( 'h1', 'h3' ); ?>>
      </div>
      <div id="tag-area"class="col7">
          </div></div>
  </div>
The above code doesn't show site title and tag line adjacent to each other. Hence, space on the right is unused.

The idea was to have 'search', 'categories' and 'menu' all in header. Then I can do away with the sidebar. each post & page will have a broad canvas.

I haven't worked on the menu. I love the hamburger.

Many thanks to you for making things easier.

Regards,
Dr. Ashok