Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

sidebar: more widget areas

Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:38 PM
the_10us

5 posts · Oct 2011
I have a right-side sidebar in the Atahualpa theme. This sidebar is one colom (1 cell). Is it possible to split this cell into e.g. 4 or 5 separate cells? I will place e.g. a search box on the top of the sidebar, and some text or calendar on the bottom of the sidebar.

I've searched this forum and tried to add widget area in a text box in the right sidebar.
Quote:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=test&cells=3&align=8&align_2 =8&align_3=8&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="right-sidebar-widget %2$s"?>
. I have installed the exec php plugin to get PHP code in text area in the widget work. But it doesn't work.

Can someone help me?
Thanx!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:43 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Not quite sure what you want for the sidebar. Can you attach a small image? Also your code for the new widget area has a space after &align_2. That could be a typo but you also had unnecessary align statements for cells 2 and 3. Since you want them all the same you only need the single align parameter. Here is what I would use based on your code. Also do you want the content in the cells to be aligned to the left center which is what 8 does?

HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Right Sidebar&cells=3&align=8&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="right-sidebar-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:17 PM
the_10us

5 posts · Oct 2011
I have attached a PDF file. I hope this explain more what i want. My idea is to put a text box in area 1 and a calendar on the bottum (area 4). Area 2 and 3 can be empty or used by another widget.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sidebar.pdf (87.1 KB, 671 views)
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
All you have to do is stack the widgets in the sidebar and then if you want space between them you can use CSS.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:00 PM
the_10us

5 posts · Oct 2011
It sounds simple Can you maybe explain how to do this? My knowledge of CSS is not that big at this time. I learn a lot of it from my first website I am making now.

Suppose I want a search box at the top and a calendar at the bottum. I just add the widgets to the right sidebar area and after that using CSS to arrange the space between them (with the stack command?).

Could you give me an example of code?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:27 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The CSS will depend on the widgets you use and how far you want them spaced. Is there some reason you don't want to just put your Search widget with the calendar right below and then add more widgets between when you want?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:40 PM
the_10us

5 posts · Oct 2011
The only widgets in the right column is a search function and a calendar. I think it's optically better to distribute them to the height of the column. I would therefore like both of them are justified on the column, the length of which in turn depends on the height of the pages. Therefore I thought to sidebar divided into e.g. 4 areas to solve my 'problem'.

But you think it is possible with a CSS code (stack?)
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:06 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I am not sure how you would get the search to stay on the top and the calendar on the bottom even with 4 widget areas. The problem as I see it with that solution is you have to scroll to see the calendar. I know of no stack CSS function.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
the_10us

5 posts · Oct 2011
Thanx for your answers. But perhaps it is not clear. I have another picture added (the site isn't online yet). I want a search box at the top right sidebar and a textbox at the bottom right sidebar (justified). Scrolling should not be necessary, as the page height is determined by the text on the item page. Actually, I just want to justify the whole column, that must be possible i thought? I can't find out how and where to find or change the code.
I hope you, or someone other, can help me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf box.pdf (113.9 KB, 628 views)
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Please explain what you mean by justify the column.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:08 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Why aren't you just putting the widgets you want in the sidebar? You can have more that one widget in the right sidebar